Kumbakonam Kadappa recipe |kumbakonam kadappa kurma recipe
How to make kumbakonam kadappa recipe kadappa kurma recipe with step by step photos and video recipe. Simple and exotic potato curry recipe from the Tanjore cuisine /thanjavur.
Kadappa Kurma is a mix of potato kurma and lentils curry – a subtle simple, less spicy curry that suits well for idli, dosa, chapathi, idiyappam and poori.
Similar to the Vellai kurma and vegetable kurma this is a Kurma variety with moong dal. I was working on a project to collect the special dishes of tanjore. Where Kumbakonam Kadappa came very first to my mind.
Some of the other potato curry varieties: potato masala, potato curry for chapathi, potato palak curry, peas potato masala, etc are the some of the variety of the potato curry recipes for tiffin items like poori, idli, dosa, chapathi.
Kumbakonam Kadappa recipe
kumbakonam kadappa recipe
to grind raw
- 1 cup coconut
- 1 tbsp khus khus
- 1.5 tsp fennel seeds
- 2 no green chillies
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1 inch cinnamon
- 1 no cardamom
- 2 no cloves
For dal and potato mix
- 1/3 cup moong dal
- 1 cup potato cubed
- 2 cups water
For the kurma
- 1.5 tbsp oil
- 1 no bay leaf
- 1/2 tsp cumin seeds
- 1 cup onions diced
- 1 slit green chilli
- 1 no tomato chopped
- 1/4 tsp turmeric powder
- 2.5 tbsp coriander powder
- 1-1.5 cups water
- salt to taste
- Firstly, Grind everything given under the “to grind raw” section to a fine paste.
- Pressure cook dal and potato with enough water to 4 whistles. open after pressure settles – mash and keep aside.
- In a thick bottomed vessel, add oil, crackle cumin seeds and add bay leaf, diced onions and slit green chilli.
- Fry until transparent. saute the chopped tomatoes until mushy.
- At this stage, turmeric powder and coriander powder is added and fry until the raw smell goes off.
- Further add dal potato mix, coconut masala, water and salt to taste.
- mix well and let it boil for 5 minutes or until raw smell goes off.
- serve hot with tiffin of your choice.
kumbakonam kadappa recipe kadappa kurma recipe
1.Firstly, lets grind the coconut masala paste. Take all the ingredients listed under the “to grind raw” section of ingredients in a blender. Blend it to a super fine paste.
2. In a pressure cooker, wash and take the moong dal along with potato cubes and enough water. pressure cook for 4-5 whistles on a medium heat. Let the pressure settle on its own.
3. Meanwhile, In another thick bottomed vessel or pan, heat oil and add cumin seeds and bay leaf. Along with it, add diced onions and green chilli and fry until pink/transparent.
4. saute the chopped tomatoes until mushy.
5. Further add turmeric powder and coriander powder. Fry for a couple of minutes until raw smell goes off.
6. Once the pressure settles down, open the pressure cooker and mash the dal and potatoes roughly. Add the dal potato mix to the pan.
7. Furthermore adjust the consistency of the curry by adding little water, salt to taste and mix well.
8. Along with this, also add ground coconut masala paste. mix well. Boil it for 5 minutes or just until the raw coconut flavor is gone and the masala is well blended with dal.
Serve the delicious kadappa kurma with the tiffin of your choice.