Are you tired of the same old breakfast routine? Look no further than oats uthappam! This South Indian breakfast dish is a healthier twist on the classic uthappam, made with a batter of oats and urad dal. It’s easy to make and customizable to your taste preferences, making it a great option for anyone looking for a delicious and nutritious breakfast. In this blog post, we’ll dive into the benefits of oats uthappam and provide you with a simple recipe to try out in your own kitchen. So, let’s get cooking!
Health benefits of oats uthappam
Oats uthappam is a dish that not only tastes great but also provides a range of health benefits. Here are some of the benefits of adding oats uthappam to your diet:
- High in fiber: Oats are an excellent source of fiber, which is important for maintaining a healthy digestive system. Adding oats to your uthappam batter increases the fiber content of the dish, helping you feel fuller for longer.
- Lowers cholesterol: Oats contain a type of soluble fiber called beta-glucan, which has been shown to lower cholesterol levels in the body. Eating oats uthappam regularly can help reduce the risk of heart disease.
- Rich in protein: Urad dal, a key ingredient in uthappam batter, is a great source of plant-based protein. Adding oats to the batter increases the protein content even further, making oats uthappam a filling and satisfying breakfast option.
- Lowers blood sugar: Oats have a low glycemic index, which means they are digested slowly and do not cause a rapid rise in blood sugar levels. This makes oats uthappam a good option for people with diabetes or those looking to manage their blood sugar levels.
- Provides essential nutrients: Oats are a good source of essential nutrients such as iron, magnesium, and zinc. Uthappam batter also contains other nutritious ingredients such as rice, lentils, and vegetables, making oats uthappam a well-rounded meal.
Incorporating oats uthappam into your diet is a delicious way to reap these health benefits and start your day off on the right foot.
Adding mung Sprouts in oats uthappam
Mung sprouts are a great addition to oats uthappam as they add extra nutrition and flavor to the dish. Here are some benefits of adding mung sprouts to your oats uthappam:
- High in protein: Mung sprouts are an excellent source of plant-based protein, making them a great addition to the oats uthappam batter. Protein is essential for building and repairing tissues, and it helps keep you feeling full and satisfied.
- Rich in antioxidants: Mung sprouts contain antioxidants that help protect the body against damage from free radicals. These antioxidants can help reduce the risk of chronic diseases such as cancer, diabetes, and heart disease.
- Lowers blood sugar: Mung sprouts have a low glycemic index, meaning they are digested slowly and do not cause a rapid rise in blood sugar levels. This makes them a good option for people with diabetes or those looking to manage their blood sugar levels.
- Provides essential nutrients: Mung sprouts are rich in essential nutrients such as vitamins C and K, folate, and iron. Adding mung sprouts to your oats uthappam batter can help boost the nutritional value of the dish.
To incorporate mung sprouts into your oats uthappam, simply rinse and soak the sprouts overnight, then add them to the batter before cooking. You can also add other vegetables such as grated carrots, chopped onions, or diced bell peppers to the batter for extra flavor and nutrition. With these additions, your oats uthappam will not only be a delicious meal but also a nutritious and wholesome one.
weight loss and oats uthappam
Oats uthappam can be a great addition to a weight loss diet due to its high fiber and protein content. Here’s how oats uthappam can aid in weight loss:
- Fiber: Oats are high in soluble fiber, which helps to slow down digestion and keeps you feeling full for longer periods of time. This can help reduce the overall calorie intake throughout the day, as you are less likely to feel hungry and snack on high-calorie foods.
- Protein: Urad dal is a great source of plant-based protein, and adding oats to the batter further increases the protein content. Protein helps to increase satiety and reduce hunger, which can help with weight loss.
- Low in calories: Oats uthappam is relatively low in calories, especially when compared to other breakfast options such as processed cereals or fried foods. Choosing a low-calorie breakfast option like oats uthappam can help you stay within your daily calorie limit.
- Nutritious: Oats uthappam is a nutrient-dense breakfast option that provides a variety of essential vitamins and minerals. Choosing a nutrient-dense breakfast like oats uthappam can help provide the body with the necessary nutrients while keeping calories in check.
It’s important to remember that while oats uthappam can aid in weight loss, it’s not a magic solution. A balanced diet and regular exercise are also essential for sustainable weight loss. However, incorporating oats uthappam into your diet can be a delicious and nutritious way to support your weight loss goals.
Video recipe of Oats uthappam
How to make Oats Uthappam
- oats – 2 cups
- water 1.5 cups
- onion 1 roughly chopped
- Green chili one chopped
- Ginger one chopped
- mung sprouts – 1/3 cup
- curd – 1/2 cup
- Salt to taste
- For garnishing:
- Chopped coriander leaves
- Idli podi
- soak oats in water for 15 to 20 minutes
- After 15 to 20 minutes of soaking add chopped onions, green chili, ginger, mung sprouts, and salt to taste and grind it to a very fine batter.
- take it in a bowl and add chopped onions and cumin seeds to wait and mix well.
- Heat a non-stick pan over medium heat and add a small amount of oil.
- Pour a ladleful of batter onto the pan and spread it evenly into a circle.
- add chopped coriander leaves and idli podi on top for extra spice.
- Cook until the edges start to turn golden brown, drizzle oil and then flip and cook the other side until golden brown.
- Serve hot with chutney or sambar.
- Note: You can add vegetables such as grated carrots, chopped onions, or diced bell peppers to the batter for extra flavor and nutrition.
- Enjoy your delicious and nutritious oats uthappam!