Kothu chapathi recipe | Mutta kothu chapathi with leftover chapathis just like the street side mutta kothu parotta. replacing parottas with leftover chapathis, this is one of the tasty street food recipes of tamilnadu.
Kothu Parotta is very popular in Tamilnadu street food shops. We shout standing among the small petty shop, “Anna rendu kothu parotta parcel”, he identifies us with the voice and gets it ready within minutes.
I love watching the way they make it, breaking the eggs, withering the masalas, scrambling the parotta and pouring the salna. At least 5 minutes of intense kothu is needed and that’s y its got its name, “KOTHU PAROTTA”. mere sauteing doesn’t make this dish.
They make music when they do this. and they use just a glass tumbler to do this action. If you do not have this wide iron pan, then simply use any iron dosa tawa. But based on size, limit the quantity to make for 1 at a time.
Kothu chapathi recipe
Egg Kothu chapathi
- 1/4 cup coconut
- 2 tsp fennel seeds
- 1 tsp poppy seeds
- 1 tbsp coriander powder
- 1 tsp chilli powder
- 1/4 tsp turmeric powder
- 1/8 tsp pepper powder
- 1/8 tsp cumin powder
- 1/8 tsp garam masala
For making salna
- 1 tbsp oil
- 1 no green chilli
- 1 sprig curry leaves
- 1 no onion sliced
- 1 tsp ginger garlic paste
- 1 no tomato chopped
For making the final dish
- 6-7 no cooked chapathis
- 1 medium onion chopped
- 1 tbsp oil
- 1 sprig curry leaves
- 2 large eggs
- salt to taste
- 1 pinch chilli powder
- Firstly, to make salna, Heat oil in a pressure cooker and fry onions, green chilli and curry leaves just until transparent.
- Add ginger garlic paste and fry until raw smell leaves.
- Once ginger garlic paste is cooked and raw smell leaves, add tomatoes and cook until slightly mushy.
- Grind together coconut, fennel seeds, poppy seeds, coriander powder, chilli powder, turmeric powder, pepper powder, cumin powder, and garam masala.
- Add the prepared masala, mix well until combined.
- Pour in 1 cup water, salt required, close and pressure cook for 3 whistles.
- open and mash it well.
- Meanwhile, cut thin short strips of chapathi and keep it ready.
- Heat oil in a wide iron dosa tawa. Saute onions and curry leaves and fry till transparent.
- break 2 eggs into it along with salt and chilli powder.
- Cook the eggs and then add chapathi strips and prepared salna along with it.
- mix well and then start mincing it for at least 3-5 minutes in simmer.
- serve it hot with leftover salna or thin coconut chutney.
Mutta kothu chapathi recipe
1.heat oil in a cooker and add green chilli, curry leave to it.
2. further, add sliced onions and fry till transparent.
3. saute in ginger garlic paste until raw smell leaves.
4. Furthermore, add the tomatoes and fry for a minute.
5. While, it is getting cooked, lets prepare the coconut masala. Take the coconuts, fennel seeds, poppy seeds in a blender/bowl.
6. Together, add coriander powder, turmeric powder, chilli powder, garam masala, cumin powder and pepper powder. Grind it to a fine paste.
7. Add the masala to the cooker and mix well until well blended.
8. Add 1 cup water to it and pressure cook for 3 whistles.
9. While it is cooking, lets cut the chapathi strips. Fold/ roll the chapathi and use scissors to cut very thin short strips.
10. Open the cooker once pressure settles. Mash it well. keep it aside until use.
11. Heat oil in a dosa tawa. Put in chopped onions and curry leaves. This should not be sauted till brown. Fry just until it is transparent.
12. Break 2 eggs into the tawa and cook the eggs.
13. Add salt and a pinch of chilli powder.
14. Fry the eggs until semi cooked.
15. Put in the prepared chapathi strips along with the salna.
16. mix it well with the onion egg mix. Now start mincing the mixture with the help of two dosa ladles.
17. Mince it for at least 3-5 minutes for the chapatis to soak in salna and get well blended with the eggs and masala.
serve the delicious kothu chapathi with leftover salna or thin coconut chutney. I like to have it as such.