Methi Mutter Malai takes its origin in Punjab and it is one among the famous north Indian curries. Malai Curries are known for its richness and creamy texture. The freshness of fenugreek leaves(Methi) and peas (Mutter) with the fresh cream load (Malai) makes it Richie.
It was this afternoon, i decided i wanted chapathi with methi mutter malai. Its been very long since we made it at home. So decided to cook malai curry and it was perfectly awesome. I have not used garlic and ginger in this recipe. I usually don’t add it in malai recipes as it takes the flavor of malai curry to normal red based/onion curry.
Methi Mutter Malai Video Recipe:
Methi Mutter Malai recipe:
1. Saute and grind onions, green chillies, cashews, cinnamon, cardamom and cloves.
2. Melt butter and add ground masala, chopped methi and saute for a couple of minutes.
3. Add full fat milk and let it boil until methi is cooked.
4. Add sugar a pinch, cooked peas and salt and let it cook again in simmer until it gets combined well.
5. Mix over fresh cream and serve hot with rotis.
note: This recipe is without ginger and garlic. Adding it is optional. If adding, add it while sauteing onions and grind to a paste.
Methi Mutter Malai
- 2 Tbsp Butter
- 1 Inch Cinnamon stick
- 2 No Cloves
- 2 Nos Green cardamom
- 2 Large Onions Roughly chopped
- 3 Long Green chillies
- 1/8 Cup Cashews
- 1 Cup Chopped fenugreek leaves Before washing 1 cup
- 1/2 Cup Green peas Cooked
- 1/2 Tsp Sugar
- Salt To taste
- 1 Tbsp Fresh cream
- 1 1/2 Cup Full fat milk
- Melt butter, saute cinnamon, cloves, cardamom, green chillies, onions until onions are brown. Add cashews and saute for couple of minutes again. Cool and grind to a fine paste.
- Melt butter, drop in ground paste and let it cook for a minute in simmer.
- Add chopped methi leaves and saute well for a couple of minutes.
- Pour in full fat milk and cook till methi leaves are done.
- Add sugar a pinch, cooked peas, salt and give it a boil again in simmer.
- Add fresh cream and mix well. Serve hot with rotis.