Mutton curry recipe | south Indian Mutton gravy – It is a simple and common curry recipe that is made in south Indian houses. In Tamilnadu, being known as Mutton kulambu and in Kerala, It is known as Varutharacha mutton curry.
Some of the other mutton recipes:
- mutton roast recipe Kerala style
- mutton masala recipe restaurant style
- mutton paya recipe
Mutton curry – video recipe
south Indian Mutton gravy recipe
mutton curry recipe
- 1/4 cup coriander seeds
- 6-8 no red chillies
- 1 inch cinnamon
- 2 no cloves
- 1 no cardamom
- 1 tsp peppercorns
- 1 tsp cumin seeds
- 1/2 tsp fennel seeds
- 1/2 cup grated coconut
- 1/2 tsp poppy seeds
- 1 tbsp sesame oil
- 3/4 cup small onions
- 1 sprig curry leaves
- 3 no green chillies
- 400 gms mutton
- 1 tbsp ginger garlic paste
- 1 tsp rock salt
- 1/2 tsp turmeric powder
- 1 medium tomato chopped
- To roast and grind, heat a pan and dry roast coriander seeds, red chillies, cinnamon, cloves, cardamom and fry until aromatic.
- furthermore, add peppercorns, cumin seeds, and fennel seeds. fry until it turns slightly reddish.
- transfer the spices to the blender and add coconut grated, khus khus and grind it first without adding water.
- add water and grind again to a fine paste. keep it aside until use.
- in a cooker, heat sesame oil and add onions, curry leaves and green chillies.
- fry until the onions are reddish.
- add the mutton pieces, ginger garlic paste and fry again for 5 minutes until it turns whitish.
- add prepared masala, turmeric powder, salt and fry well.
- add enough water, tomatoes. mix well, pressure cook for 5 whistles.
- let the pressure settle and then open the cooker and serve it hot with the main dish.
Mutton curry recipe with step by step pics
To start with the making of this dish, let’s prepare the masala. We need to roast and grind the spices for that. In a pan, dry roast coriander seeds, cinnamon, cloves, cardamom, red chillies until slightly aromatic.
Further, add cumin seeds, fennel seeds and peppercorns to it. fry till it is slightly reddish but not burnt.
transfer it to blender immediately to avoid further browning. Add coconut grated, khus khus to it.
Blend it first without adding any water. Once it is powdered, add little water and grind again to a fine paste.
In a cooker, heat oil and fry small onions, curry leaves, green chillies until they turn brown.
Furthermore, add clean and washed mutton pieces along with ginger garlic paste. fry the mutton pieces for 3-5 minutes.
After3-5 minutes of frying, when the mutton turns whitish in color, add prepared masala, salt needed.
Also, add turmeric powder and mix well until combined.
Lastly, add tomatoes, enough water for the mutton to get cooked.
Pressure cook for 4-5 whistles and wait for the pressure to get settled. open and serve hot!