Dal Kofta Kurma recipe is a simple lentil balls/koftas steam cooked and simmered in a south Indian kurma base. This may look like the very popular paruppu urundai kulambu but with modifications to go with dosa/idli and chapathi.
some of the other kurma recipes:
- pattani kurma recipe
- thakkali kurma recipe
- Kumbakonam kadappa recipe kadappa kurma
- aloo palak kurma recipe
- peas potato masala
- hotel style vegetable kurma
Dal Kofta Kurma video recipe
Dal Kofta Kurma recipe
Paruppu urundai kurma
- 3/4 cup tur dal
- 1/4 cup chana dal
- 2 nos red chilli
- 1/2 tsp fennel seeds
- 1/2 tsp peppercorns
- 1 inch ginger
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 medium sized onion finely chopped
- 4 tbsp grated coconut
- 5 nos shallots
- 1/2 tsp fennel seeds
- 1/2 tsp khus khus
- 1 no tomato chopped
- 1 tbsp oil
- 1/2 tsp mustard seeds
- 3/4 tsp urad dal split
- 1 sprig curry leaves
- 4 cloves garlic sliced
- 10 no shallots chopped
- 1/4 tsp turmeric powder
- 1.5 tsp chilli powder
- 2 tsp coriander powder
- 1 cup water
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tbsp coriander leaves chopped
- soak the chana dal and tur dal in water for 1-2 hours.
- drain and grind it along with red chillies, fennel seeds, ginger, peppercorns, and salt. Grind without adding water to a coarse paste.
- To this paste, add chopped onions and mix well.
- make balls out of it and steam cook for 10 minutes or until firm. reserve one ball without steam cooking for making the kurma. cook and keep the rest of balls aside until use.
- grind together coconut, small onions, khus khus, fennel, and tomato to a fine paste and keep the masala ready.
- To make the kurma, heat oil in a pan/pot and crackle mustard seeds.
- further add urad dal split, curry leaves, and garlic. fry till aromatic.
- when it turns aromatic, add chopped small onions and fry till reddish.
- add the reserved dal mix, prepared masala and fry until the raw smell leaves.
- furthermore, add turmeric powder, chilli powder, coriander powder, salt and mix well.
- add water. close and cook the curry for about 10 minutes.
- open and add the lentil balls gently and pour some of the kurma on top of it.
- close and cook again for 5 minutes on low heat.
- open and sprinkle chopped coriander leaves.
- mix and serve hot.
Paruppu urundai kurma recipe with step by step pics
wash and Soak the tur dal(tuvaram paruppu) and chana dal (kadalai paruppu) in water for 1-2 hours. drain the water and take it in a blender/bowl.
further add salt, peppercorns, red chillies, ginger and grind it coarsely without adding water. If needed only sprinkle little water.
to this coarsely ground dal mixture, add finely chopped onions and mix well. make lemon sized balls of the mixture.
steam cook the balls in idli pan. reserve a handful of the mixture to add in the curry.
steam cook for about 10 minutes or until the balls are firm. take it out to a plate and keep it aside until use.
While the lentil balls are getting cooked, we need to grind coconut, small onions, fennel seeds, khus khus, tomatoes to a fine paste.
In a pan/pot, heat oil and crackle mustard seeds, urad dal and saute in curry leaves, sliced garlic until they turn aromatic.
When the oil sizzles, add the chopped small onions and fry until they are slightly brown in shade.
furthermore, add the reserved dal mixture, prepared coconut tomato masala, and mix. Fry this masala until raw smell leaves.
When the masala is well fried, add chilli powder, coriander powder, turmeric powder and mix again. fry for a couple of minutes.
Add water and close cook for about 10 minutes.
Open and put the flame low. Drop the cooked lentil balls gently one by one and pour a little bit of curry on top of the balls. close the pot and cook again for 5 minutes.
Open and add freshly chopped coriander leaves. mix and serve the paruppu urundai kurma hot with rice/idli/dosa.