kadala curry recipe | nadan kadala curry Kerala style with step by step photos and video recipe. traditional chickpeas recipe made with coconut. one of the very usual recipe to go with puttu or appam , dosa, idli or even rice.
there are few things to be noted in this recipe. foremost is DO NOT roast the coconut as like we do for tamarind base gravy (theeyal). coconut has just to be heated and not fried. then it becomes kadala theeyal and not kadala curry.
adding potatoes in this recipe is optional. but it is mainly to add thickness to the gravy and i prefer it else the curry will be too runny. there is one more similar recipe here with sprouted chickpeas.
Nadan Kadala Curry Kerala style
kadala curry recipe
to roast and grind
- 2 tsp coconut oil
- 3/4 cup small onions
- 4-5 cloves garlic
- 2 tbsp coriander powder
- 1 tbsp chilli powder
- 1/8 cup coconut
- 1.5 tbsp coconut oil
- 2 tsp mustard seeds
- 1 sprig curry leaves
- 1 no greeen chilli finely chopped
- 1 tbsp ginger finely chopped
- 2 medium onions finely chopped
- 1 large tomatoes finely chopped
- 1/2 cup chickpeas black soaked overnight
- 1 large potato chopped
- 2.5 cups water
- salt to taste
- 1/2 tsp turmeric powder
- 1 tbsp coconut oil
- 2-3 tbsp sliced small onions
- salt for frying
- 1 sprig curry leaves broken
- 1 no red chilli broken
to roast and grind
- heat oil and add shallots, garlic and roast in medium flame until brown.
- further add coriander powder, chilli powder and coconut pieces. mix well.
- cool and grind it to a smooth paste.
to make curry
- take a pressure cooker and heat coconut oil in it.
- crackle mustard seeds. add chopped ginger, chopped green chilli, curry leaves and chopped onions.
- fry until onions are brown.
- add chopped tomatoes to this and fry in medium heat until mushy.
- now add the soaked chickpeas along with potato, prepared masala, salt, turmeric powder and 2-2.5 cups water.
- pressure cook for 5-6 whistles or until it softens.
- tempering: heat oil in another pan and add sliced onions, curry leaves and red chilli. fry until reddish.
- add the tempering to the curry along with chopped coriander leaves and mix well. mash it slightly.
- serve hot with puttu/rice/dosa/idli/appam.
Kadala curry recipe
1.firstly, lets prepare the base masala. heat coconut oil in a pan and add shallots and garlic to it. fry until brown.
2. mix in coriander powder, chilli powder and coconut pieces. generally we switch off at this point and fry so that the heat in the pan is sufficient enough to get all the masala and coconut to get heated up. we need not fry it for longer
3. take a pressure cooker and heat coconut oil. crackle mustard seeds and add chopped ginger, chopped green chilli and curry leaves.
4. also add chopped onions and fry until brown.
5. when the onions are brown, add tomatoes and cook further until mushy.
6. strain the chickpeas which had been soaking overnight. add it along with cubed potatoes. potatoes add a unique flavour and thickens the gravy but it is optional.
7. add the prepared masala and water. I have used the water in which chickpeas was soaked and also cleaned the blender. totally 2.5 cups water is used.
8. add salt and turmeric powder.
9. mix well, close and pressure cook for 5-6 whistles or even longer but we dont want the chickpeas to get mashed too much.
10. while it cooks, lets prepare the tempering. take a pan and heat coconut oil and put in sliced small onions and salt for the onions to get fried.
11. further add broken curry leaves and broken red chilli. fry until it turns reddish.
12. add the tempering and coriander leaves to the curry. mix well, mash it up slightly and serve.
traditional -nadan Kerala style kadala curry is ready to be tasted ! 🙂