Pav bhaji recipe | How to make Mumbai street food style Pav bhaji with step by step photos and video recipe. one of the most popular street foods of India that holds the top 10 list of each and every foodie is pav bhaji.
this is the very first recipe that i learnt to cook when i was studying 6th standard. of course with my moms help but that craze for pav bhaji made me try it at home. there is a shop where we use to have pav bhaji and luckily one day we were a bit early and he started from the beginning.
though i dint understand all of it, my mom was able to replicate it almost and there i learnt and tried the first recipe. not only that it is simple and healthy. this always turns out too good.
I dont prefer adding food colour especially while having kids around. I simply add a piece of beetroot while cooking the vegetables. the colour turns so attractive.
Pav bhaji recipe video:
Pav bhaji recipe
- 2 cups potatoes – chopped
- 1/4 cup green peas
- 1 large carrot – chopped
- 1/8 cup beans – chopped
- 3 cups tomatoes – chopped
- 1 small piece beetroot
- salt to taste
- 1/4 tsp turmeric powder
- 3 tbsp butter
- 1 tsp cumin seeds
- 1 no green chilli – chopped
- 2 tsp garlic paste
- 1 tsp kashmiri red chilli powder
- 3/4 cup onions – chopped
- 2 tbsp capsicum – chopped
- 2 tbsp pav bhaji masala
- 1/2 tsp kasuri methi
- 1 handful coriander leaves
- 1 tsp butter
- 4-6 pieces pav buns
- pressure cook all the vegetables together with turmeric powder, salt and water to 5 whistles.
- open and mash it well and keep it ready.
- melt butter in a pan and crackle cumin seeds.
- add chopped onions, chopped green chillies, garlic paste, chopped capsicum and saute well for a minute.
- to this, add the cooked vegetables, pav bhaji masala, kasuri methi, coriander leaves and lastly butter
- mix well and let it boil for 10 minutes in medium heat.
- melt butter in another pan and add a pinch chopped onions, chopped coriander leaves and a pinch pav bhaji masala. mix well and place the pav buns over it.
- let it cook on all sides.
- serve hot with bhaji and chopped onions and a squeeze of lemon juice.
pav bhaji recipe with step by step pics
1.take a pressure cooker. wash and chop all the vegetables needed. Add chopped potatoes, chopped carrots, chopped beans and peas.
2. add 3 cups tomatoes. tomatoes are large in quantity and that gives the taste of the dish. use fully ripe tomatoes for best taste. also to skip addign food coloring, I have used a piece of beetroot.
3. along with this, add turmeric powder, salt and water just enough to cook the vegetables. do not add too much water. just until the vegetables are covered. since there is lot of tomatoes, you need not worry about vegetables getting burnt without water.
4. pressure cook for 4-5 whistles. let the pressure settle and open it.
5. smash it well and when you smash the beetroot you can see the color of the curry getting changed.
6. heat a pan and add butter to it. crackle cumin seeds.
7. add chopped green chillies and garlic paste. (i sometimes use ginger garlic paste but i happen to know that traditionally only garlic paste is used). i dint find much difference though.
8. add kashmiri chilli powder and give it a good mix in simmer.
9. add chopped onions and fry for few seconds.
10. add chopped capsicum and fry for a minute.
11. pour the cooked and mashed vegetables and then add generous amount of pav bhaji masala.
12. along with it, add kasuri methi and chopped coriander leaves
13. mix well and finally add butter. let ti boil in medium heat for 10 minutes.
14. meanwhile, melt butter in another pan and add chopped onions, coriander leaves and pav bhaji masala. mix well.
15. cut slit the pav buns and roast it in the tawa over the onions.
16. turn sides and cook all over.
17. serve hot along with onions and squeeze few drops of lemon.