Thakkali curry | Tomato masala curry recipe is very simple, easy to cook and tasty curry with tomatoes that goes as a side dish with all the mains.
This is my veliamma’s recipe. She cooks too well, her dishes are always exclusive. This is one recipe that I recently had at her house. I have tweaked it a little to my preference. As per her recipe, tur dal shouldn’t be mashed, it should be just cooked and separate. Also, the tempering has to be done finally before serving.
This curry tastes good for idli, dosa as well as rice. It also goes well with chapathi. so it is a one-shot recipe for all the mains.
some of the other tomato curries:
- Thakkali Kurma – tomato kurma recipe
- Thakkali kadayal – tomato bhaji
- Coimbatore thakkali kulambu – tomato curry coimbatore style
How to make Thakkali curry – video recipe
Thakkali curry recipe
tomato curry recipe
to pressure cook – 1
- 4 medium tomatoes roughly chopped
- 1 no green chilli slit
to pressure cook – 2
- 1/4 cup tur dal
- 3 tbsp corinader powder
- 2 tsp chilli powder
- 7-8 no garlic
- 1.5 tsp coconut oil
- 1 tsp mustard seeds
- 3/4 tsp cumin seeds
- 1 sprig curry leaves
- 1/2 cup small onions chopped
- 1 pinch asafoetida
- 1/4 tsp turmeric powder
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 cup water
- Cook the tur dal separately, mash and keep it ready.
- cook the tomatoes and green chillies with little water. mash and keep it ready.
- heat oil and crackle mustard seeds, cumin seeds, curry leaves.
- fry small onions until reddish and then add cooked tomatoes, cooked dal
- grind together garlic, coriander powder and chilli powder to a fine paste. add the paste to the curry.
- furthermore, add asafoetida, turmeric powder, salt, water and mix well.
- give it a boil and serve hot.
Tomato masala curry recipe with step pics
pressure cook roughly chopped tomatoes, green chillies with little water. Pressure cook for 2-3 whistles. let the pressure settle on its own. open and mash it well. Keep it aside until use.
In a blender, take garlic cloves, coriander powder, and chilli powder. Grind it to a fine paste and keep it ready.
In a pan or a mud pot, heat oil and crackle mustard seeds and cumin seeds. Fry chopped small onions, curry leaves until onions turn slightly reddish-brown.
When the onions turn brown, add cooked tomatoes, cooked and mashed tur dal.
Along with it, also add ground garlic paste, asafoetida, salt, turmeric powder.
Further, add water to thin it and give it a boil.
Serve it hot with idli, dosa or rice.