Tomato thokku recipe | Thakkali thokku recipe | Spicy tomato pickle recipe with step by step photos and video recipe. tangy tomato pickle/thokku recipe that goes with chapathi, idli, dosa and for rice as side dish.
It is always good to use seasonal vegetables that is available in abundance. We make tomato thokku for travelling, for storing it for longer term for about two to three weeks it stays good if refrigerated.
some of the tomato based recipes:
- Tomato Biryani with coconut milk | Thakkali biryani | Pressure cooker tomato rice
- Easy Tomato soup recipe restaurant style | Pressure cooker creamy south Indian soup with tomatoes
- Tomato Chutney recipe | Thakkali Chutney
- Thakkali bhaji ~ Thakkali Kadayal ~ Tomato Bhaji
- Tomato Sambar for Idli/Dosa
Tomato thokku recipe | Thakkali thokku recipe | spicy tomato pickle recipe quick video:
Tomato thokku recipe | Thakkali thokku recipe | spicy tomato pickle recipe card:
Tomato thokku recipe | Thakkali thokku recipe | spicy tomato pickle recipe
- 3-4 tbsp oil
- 1 tsp mustard seeds
- 1/2 tsp fenugreek seeds
- 10 cloves garlic finely chopped
- 3 cups tomato finely chopped
- salt to taste
- 1/4 tsp turmeric powder
- 1 tsp chilli powder
- 1/2 tbsp jaggery
- heat oil, crackle mustard seeds, fenugreek seeds and saute garlic till brown
- add chopped tomatoes and salt. fry till mushy.
- when the tomatoes are mushy, add turmeric powder, chilli powder and cook in simmer till it thickens and reduces to less than half the initial quantity leaving out oil on all sides.
- finally switch off and add jaggery. mix well.
- store in air tight container and refrigerate to use it later.
Tomato thokku recipe | Thakkali thokku recipe | spicy tomato pickle recipe with step by step pics:
- heat oil in a thick bottomed pan and crackle mustard seeds and fenugreek seeds. let the fenugreek seeds not brown but just heat it up
- drop finely chopped garlic and saute till brown.
- finely chop the tomatoes and add it to the pan. use fresh and ripe tomatoes to get the bright red color. you can also grind the tomatoes and add it instead of chopping it. Since i made it for chapathi, i preferred slight chunks than creamy thokku.
- add salt and fry till mushy.
- when it turns mushy, add turmeric powder and chilli powder to taste
- Mix well and let it cook open and in simmer for 20- 30 minutes. lowest flame possible and let it thicken and reduce in size leaving out oil. keep stirring in between.
- After 25-30 minutes, switch off and add jaggery. mix well and store in a air tight container to use it later.
Pin for later: