Methi mutter malai recipe – one of the commonly made side dish with green peas and fresh fenugreek leaves. Its a rich onion and cream based curry base in which peas and cooked methi leaves are simmered. One of the best sided dish for chapathi/roti
To make the curry, fresh cream(malai) is a must. I have used amul fresh cream and you can use homemade as well but remember it has to be odour free and fresh and creamy malai.
Though this curry has to be pleasingly white, I like it to be subtle whitish pale yellow. I have used fresh homegrown baby methi leaves, so have chopped even the stems of it while you can avoid chopping stems if using mature leaves.
some of the methi/peas based recipes
Methi mutter malai – video recipe
Methi mutter malai recipe
methi mutter malai recipe
- 1/2 tsp ghee
- 1/2 tsp cumin seeds
- 2 medium onions roughly chopped
- 2 no garlic chopped
- 1 inch ginger chopped roughly
- 2 no green chilli slit
- 1 tbsp poppy seeds/khuskhus
- 1 cup methi leaves chopped
- 1/4 tsp turmeric powder
- 1/8 tsp cardamom powder
- 1 tsp coriander powder
- 1/4 tsp garam masala
- salt to taste
- 1/2 cup fresh cream
- 1/4 cup green peas cooked
- 1/8 tsp sugar
- cook the green peas and prepare the methi leaves by chopping them finely
- firstly, to saute and grind, heat ghee in a pan and crackle cumin seeds.
- add chopped onions, garlic, ginger, green chilli, and fry till onions are transparent.
- add in poppy seeds and saute for few more minutes.
- let the mixture cool and grind it to a paste. Keep it aside.
- in the same pan, add chopped methi leaves and turmeric powder. saute till it shrinks. take it in a bowl and keep it aside.
- Again, in the same pan, add prepared masala, water. mix well and let it come to a boil.
- add cardamom powder, coriander powder, garam masala and salt.
- boil for few minutes.
- add fresh cream and mix once again.
- lastly, add sugar, cooked peas, cooked methi leaves and stir until combined.
- let it cook for 5 minutes and serve hot with chapathi.
How to make Fenugreek green peas curry
to saute and grind
In a wide pan, melt ghee and add cumin seeds.
When the cumin seeds splutter, add roughly chopped onions, garlic, ginger and slit green chillies. Fry everything until the onions are transparent.
Add khus khus(poppy seeds) and fry again for a couple of minutes. Let the mixture cool down.
Take the mixture in a blender once it is cool and blend it to a super fine paste. Keep it ready until use.
making of the curry
Cook the peas and Prepare the methi leaves, chop them. In the same pan, add methi leaves and turmeric powder. saute till it shrinks and take it in a bowl. keep it aside.
In the same pan, add the ground masala and water. mix well.
When the masala starts boiling, add cardamom powder, coriander powder.
further, add garam masala and salt to taste.
Mix everything together and let ti boil for few minutes on high heat. stir in fresh cream /malai.
Lastly, add sugar, cooked peas and cooked methi leaves.
stir well and let it boil for few minutes.
serve hot with chapathi.