corn curry recipe | sweet corn gravy | sweet corn sabzi |corn recipes with step by step photos and video recipe. with a lot of varieties in corn curry recipes, this is my attempt and i named it dum makai.
this recipe has a creamy, rich curry base with just the boiled corn kernels and no other vegetables are used. we all simply loved it and i wanted to share with you all. try and let me how it turns out for you.
Dum cooking the curries a.k.a Dum pukht can be translated as ‘dum’ meaning ‘breath in’ and ‘pukht’ meaning ‘to cook’ gives it an excellent restaurant touch to the final curries.
I have used grated paneer and grated cheese in this recipe which is purely optional. also the paste of cashews and mixed seeds is optional. If you do not have mixed seeds, then just use cashew paste instead.
Corn curry recipe
Sweet Corn curry recipe
- 1.5 tbsp oil
- 1 tsp cumin seeds
- 1/2 cup onions – chopped finely
- 1 tsp ginger garlic paste
- 1 large tomato – chopped
- salt for frying
- 1/4 tsp turmeric powder
- 1 tsp cumin powder
- 1 tbsp coriander powder
- 8-10 dry kashmiri red chillies – soaked in hot water for 10 min; & grind to fine paste
- 1 tsp garam masala
- 1 tbsp kasuri methi
- 3 tbsp grated paneer
- 3/4 cup cooked corn
- 1 tbsp cashew
- 1 tbsp mixed seeds
- 1/2 tsp sugar
- salt to taste
- 1 handful coriander leaves
- 2-3 tbsp grated cheese
- 1 piece coal
- 1 tsp ghee
- heat oil and pop in cumin seeds.
- saute onions and ginger garlic paste until transparent
- further add chopped tomatoes, salt for frying, turmeric powder. mix well, close and cook for 5 minutes or until tomatoes are soft.
- open and add the cumin powder, coriander powder, kashmiri red chilli paste and mix well.
- close and cook for 2-3 mins in simmer until raw smell of chilli paste leaves.
- open and add garam masala, kasuri methi, grated paneer and half cooked corn
- make a paste of cashews and mixed seeds with few tbsp of hot water. add the paste to the curry. mix well.
- add 2 cups of water to bring it to the required consistency, mix well. close and cook for 10 mins in simmer.
- open and add sugar, adjust salt, coriander leaves, grated cheese and mix well.
- keep a bowl in the pan and place a super hot coal over it.
- add few tsp of ghee and when it starts fuming, immediately close it with a lid.
- open once it settles. take out the bowl with coal. serve the curry hot with roti.
Sweet Corn gravy step wise description
1.heat oil in a pan and pop in cumin seeds. add finely chopped onions and ginger garlic paste. fry until it turns transparent and raw smell leaves.
2. add chopped tomatoes, salt for frying and turmeric powder. mix well.
3. close and cook for 5-8 mins until tomatoes are mushy. you can also leaves it open and keep stirring until mushy. closing makes the process quicker. open and add cumin powder and coriander powder.
4. this is something new addition in my attempt. soak the kashmiri red chillies in hot water for 10 minutes and make it a paste. I used around 8-10 kashmiri red chillies. mix well until well blended with the onion tomato mixture.
5. close again and cook for few minutes until the oil leaves out from the masala. also the raw smell of chilli paste has to be gone. you can stir in between if needed.
6. now add garam masala and crushed kasuri methi.
7. together add grated paneer and cooked corn. for cooking corn – boil water in a sauce pan and add washed and clean corn with little salt. dont cook until mushy. it has to be half cooked.
8. this is also an important try in my recipe. I would recommend you to try this. grind together cashews and mixed seeds. you get the pack of mixed seeds especially to make curries. grind it with few tsp of hot water to a super fine paste.
9. add the paste to the pan and mix everything together.
10. add 2 cups water (little more or less based on the consistency you require). mix well.
11. close the lid and cook in simmer for about 8-10 minutes. you can find beautiful layer of oil specs all over by then.
12. furthermore, add sugar and adjust salt to taste.
13. lastly add chopped coriander leaves and grated cheese. mix well.
14. place a deep bowl and super hot coal in it. pour in few drops of melted ghee. keep the lid on the other hand ready.
15. when it is fuming, close the lid immediately.
16. leave it for few minutes undisturbed until the fumes settle. open and gently take out the bowl.
17. serve hot with roti.