Tomato Biryani with coconut milk | Thakkali biryani | Pressure cooker tomato rice with step by step photos and video recipe. Tamilnadu style thakkali biriyani made with fresh coconut milk. there is already one simple version of plain tomato rice which does not include much of whole spices and without coconut milk and is very simple recipe.
This recipe was crafted exclusively crafted for my dearest friend and well wisher Shilpa. I made sure I cracked best of all tomato biryani for her. tried couple of times and ended up with this recipe which i shared with her and she loved it 🙂 You know the hard work and effort we put in crafting recipes, testing, shooting, clicking, editing, writing and then posting. Then when we get the instant feedback with photo of the recipe tried, thats so encouraging. Thank you Shilpa!
Tomato Biryani with coconut milk | Thakkali biryani video recipe
Tomato Biryani with coconut milk | Thakkali biryani step by step pictures and detailed description:
- Wash and Soak basmati rice in water for 15 minutes or just before you start cooking.
- Heat oil in a cooker, add cardamom, cinnamon, bay leaf, fennel seeds, cumin seeds and when it crackles, add sliced onion
- Along with the sliced onions, add ginger garlic paste, mint leaves, chopped green chillies and fry for a minute.
- When the onions are pink, add chopped tomatoes, salt, turmeric powder, chilli powder and saute again until mushy
- Meanwhile, grind coconut and cashew together to a fine paste. strain and add the thick milk to the rice. measure the water used for straining the milk. I have used 1/4 cup water to grind and strain coconut milk
- measure the water exactly so that, we need to adjust the water quantity to be added accordingly.
- Mix well in simmer.
- add remaining water, water quantity along with coconut milk it is 1 cup liquid(1/4 cup water and 3/4 cup water)
- strain and add the soaked rice to the cooker and adjust salt as per taste. Mix well.
- pressure cook for 10 minutes on low flame
- when pressure releases completely, open.
- fluff it up with a fork and serve hot with pickle or raita.
Tomato Biryani with coconut milk | Thakkali biryani recipe card:
Tomato biryani with coconut milk
- 1 cup basmati rice
- 2 tbsp oil
- 1 no bay leaf
- 2 pods cardamom
- 1 inch cinnamon stick
- 1/2 tsp fennel seeds
- 1/4 tsp cumin seeds
- 2 medium onion thinly sliced
- 1 no green chilli chopped finely
- 1 tsp ginger garlic paste
- 4-5 fresh mint leaves
- 2 large tomatoes finely chopped
- salt to taste
- 1/4 tsp turmeric powder
- 3/4 tsp chilli powder
- 1/4 cup coconut
- 1 tsp cashew
- 3/4 cup water
soak 1 cup basmati rice in water for 15 minutes.
heat oil in a cooker, add bay leaf, cinnamon, cloves, fennel seeds, cumin seeds and let it crackle.
to this, add thinly sliced onions and fry till transparent
when transparent, add ginger garlic paste, chopped green chillies and mint leaves
mix well and saute till the raw smell goes off
further add chopped tomatoes, salt and saute till mushy
when mushy, add turmeric powder, chilli powder and grind coconut cashew together with 1/4 cup water and strain the coconut milk to the cooker.
mix well, add 3/4th water and let it come to a boil. when it starts boiling, strain and add soaked rice and mix well
pressure cook for 10 minutes on low flame. open and fluff it up when pressure releases.