Tomato Flaxseeds chutney recipe | Flax seed tomato chutney with step by step pictorial and video recipe. This is one of the healthy, simple and quick side dish for idli/dosas. Made with flax seeds, this is one of the new and interesting chutney that can be tried at home.
I had a box of flax seeds at home unused for a long time, thats when this chutney was tried out around in 2016. since then, i often make this at home as it became my husbands favorite chutney.
<Now that am updating the post with better photos and quick video>
- You can also add curry leaves to this chutney.
- I suggest using whole urad dal while sauteing, that gives better flavor than split ones.
- You can even add 2 garlic cloves while sauteing but it is optional.
caution: Flaxseeds pops out from oil and could cause burn. So i suggest keeping tomatoes ready so that if it starts popping, put in tomatoes to control popping.
Tomato flaxseed chutney recipe quick video:
Flax seed Tomato Chutney pictorial directions:
- Heat oil, crackle urad dal, chana dal until slightly brown and add red chillies to it
- Put in Flax seeds and let it pop.
- immediately, when it pops, add tomatoes and salt. fry for half a minute.
- Close and let it cook until tomatoes are mushy.
- cool and Grind it to a smooth paste. Transfer to a bowl.
- For seasoning: Heat oil, splutter mustard seeds and urad dal. pour on the chutney. mix well and serve with dosas or idlis
Tomato Flaxseeds chutney recipe:
Flax seed tomato chutney
- 3/4 tbsp urad dal split
- 3/4 tbsp chana dal
- 2 - 2 1/2 tbsp flax seeds
- 5-6 long dry red chilies
- 3-4 medium sized tomatoes - finely chopped
- 1 tsp mustard seeds
- 1/2 tsp urad dal
- Heat oil, crackle urad dal, chana dal until slightly brown.
- Put in Flax seeds and let it pop. while it starts popping, add red chilies and roughly chopped tomatoes.
- Add salt and let it cook until tomatoes are mushy.
- Grind it to a smooth paste. Transfer to a bowl.
- For seasoning: Heat oil, splutter mustard seeds and urad dal. pour on the chutney. mix well and serve with dosas or idlis.