Thandai | holi special recipes | how to make thandai recipe | Instant thandai recipe with step by step photos and video recipe – a very common rich fulfilling drink made during holi festivals and also on the day of shivaratri/shivratri.
Find here easy and instant version of thandai with a quick video and step by step detailed description below. it is made in northern parts of India, a simple recipe which has dry fruits, spices, milk and is chilled and served.
Rose petal is generally used in this recipe which is one of the key ingredient other than dry fruits. Incase of unavailability of rose petals, go for gulkhand or rose essence. Even in this recipe, I have used rose essence instead of rose petals. dried or fresh rose petals can be used.
this is an instant version of making the thandai where we skip soaking the dry fruits. In case, you are planning it earlier, then I would strongly suggest to soak all the dry fruits in milk and let it refrigerated overnight. Next morn take them out and grind to a fine paste. Anyhow in Instant version also, we will be cooking all the dry fruits in milk for 15 – 20 minutes so that it doesn’t stay raw and the flavors get blended with milk.
Thandai | holi special recipes – Quick video:
Thandai | holi special recipes step by step description:
- firstly, For the instant version of making the thandai, take almonds, pistachios, cashews, fennel seeds and khus khus in a blender or bowl. equal measure of almonds, pista and cashews to be taken.
- Next, add cinnamon, peppercorns (adding peppercorns are purely optional) very little of it spices up the drink.
- Further, freshly grate nutmeg and add it. little of it for the flavor. If you dont have nutmeg at home, skip it. But it adds a unique flavor to the drink.
- now, add milk as required and grind it to a smooth paste. If you have soaked the fruits overnight, then its easy to grind else it will stay coarse which is a plus in this drink. slightly coarse drink is what we expect.
- the tandai masala looks like this after grinding.
- Keep it aside and heat milk in a thick bottomed vessel, I used boiled milk 1.5 litres and 1 cup or more brown sugar as per your taste. You can also add white sugar, but i like the flavor of brown sugar in the drink.
- large pinch of saffron, cardamom powder. If you do not have cardamom powder, then grind the pods along with other dry fruits. I had it handy, so directly added to milk.
Keep the flame medium and heat the milk while you stir continuously.
- After 5 minutes, the milk turns yellow since we have added saffron and it comes to rolling boil.
- Now, its time to add thandai masala and rose essence.
- Mix well and let it boil in medium flame until it thickens and starts reducing.
- Switch off after approximately 10 minutes or when you feel its thick and saucy. the consistency purely depends on your preference. but 10 minutes of boiling time is required for the dry fruits to get cooked with milk. thandai is best tasted when served chilled.
Thandai | holi special recipe card:
Thandai | holi special recipes
- 1/4 cup almonds
- 1/4 cup pistachios
- 1/4 cup cashews
- 1/2 tbsp fennel seeds
- 1/2 tbsp khus khus
- 1/4 inch cinnamon
- 10-11 nos peppercorns
- 1/8 tsp grated nutmeg
- 1/4 cup milk for grinding
- 1.5 litres milk
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 1 large pinch saffron
- 1/4 tsp cardamom powder
- 1/4 tsp rose essence
- blend together cashews, almonds, pista, khus khus, fennel, cinnamon, peppercorn, nutmeg with little milk
- boil milk and add sugar, cardamom powder and saffron threads. when they turn yellow after 5-10 minutes. add ground dry fruits paste and rose essence
- mix well and let it boil in medium heat for 10 minutes.
- when it starts reducing, switch off, cool and serve.