How to make Banana Flower biryani | vazhaipoo biryani Banana flower recipes with step by step photos and video recipe. Simple, easy and healthy recipe with banana blossoms a.k.a vazhaipoo or banana flower.
Known for its amazing nutritional value, I was not satisfied with just making stir-fries, vazhaipoo vadas, kootu recipe or banana flower curry. I want to explore more healthy options of Banana flower recipes. Using this amazing ingredient so that it reaches to my family without any compromise on taste.
So, I tried this rice recipe with vazhapoo which turned out to be awesome and the flavor of banana flowers replaced the meat flavor and gave an extraordinary taste to this veg biryani.
I packed this variety rice for my kids’ lunch box and to my surprise, he finished it clean and never knew what it was. though he is not hesitant in eating any vegetable, I had guilt that I couldn’t pack my little one banana flower as stir-fries/curries are difficult for him to eat.
Banana Flower biryani
vazhaipoo biryani Banana flower recipes
- 2 tsp oil
- 1 tsp ghee
- 1 no bay leaf
- 1 inch cinnamon
- 3 no cloves
- 1 no cardamom
- 1 small strand of mace
- 1/2 tsp fennel seeds
- 1 no black cardamom
- 1 no star anise
- 1.5 cups onion sliced
- few cashews
- 2 slit green chillies
- 1 tsp ginger garlic paste
- 2 cups banana flower chopped
- 1 tbsp coriander leaves chopped
- few mint leaves
- 2 no tomato crushed
- 1/4 tsp turmeric powder
- 1/4 tsp chilli powder
- 1/8 tsp garam masala
- 1.25 cups water
- 1 cup basmati rice
- salt to taste
- Soak Basmati rice in water for 15 minutes.
- Heat oil+ghee in a thick bottomed vessel. Add in all the whole spices from Bay leaf till star anise. fry for half a minute.
- Further add chopped onions, cashews, green chillies and fry for a minute.
- Add ginger garlic paste and fry until onions are slightly brown.
- At this stage, add banana flower chopped, chopped coriander leaves and mint leaves.
- Mix well and Add crushed tomatoes, turmeric powder, chilli powder and garam masala.
- fry for a minute and measure 1.25 cups water for 1 cup rice and add the water along with salt. let the water come to a boil.
- Drain and add the soaked basmati rice. Mix well.
- Close and cook for 5 minutes in medium heat and 10 minutes in simmer. do not open immediately. open only 10 minutes after switching off.
- fluff it up and serve hot with raita.
how to make Vazhaipoo biryani recipe – Banana flower recipes
1.Heat oil+ghee in a thick bottomed vessel. Put in all the whole spices: Bay leaf, cinnamon, cardamom, mace strand, black cardamom, cloves, fennel seeds and star anise. Saute everything in oil for half a minute.
2. Thinly slice the onions and put them along with slit green chillies and cashews. Fry for a minute.
3. furthermore, add ginger garlic paste and fry. onions turn slightly brown.
4. Finely chop the banana blossoms and soak them in buttermilk until use. Drain and add the chopped banana flowers along with chopped coriander leaves and few mint leaves. Mix well.
5. We need not fry the banana flower for too long as it gets cooked very quickly. crush the tomatoes, i.e., pulse the tomatoes once or twice and add them to the pan with turmeric powder, chilli powder and garam masala. Mix well and fry for a minute.
6. Further add water (1 part rice: 1.25 parts of water) if the rice is soaked for 15-20 minutes. If the rice is not soaked take 1.5 cups water for 1 cup rice. Add salt to taste and also add the drained rice to it.
7. Mix well, close and cook. Here is the interesting part. For any pulao/biryani that is cooked in pan i follow this timings and it works perfect. 5 minutes on medium heat and 10 minutes in simmer.Open 10 minutes after switching off.
serve the healthy and delicious vazhaipoo biryani with raita.