Vazhapoo Thoran – Banana flower stir fry recipe that is a very common and healthy side dish for rice.
Even though cleaning banana flower takes time and is tiresome. the taste and benefits are just worth it. this thoran is unlike the other common thoran recipes. Coconut is ground to paste with fennel seeds and added.
adding fennel seeds is optional but the inclusion of fennel seeds in banana flower gives it an amazing flavor.
How to cook Vazhapoo thoran
- 1 no banana flower cleaned & chopped
- 1 tsp mustard seeds
- 1 tsp cumin seeds
- 1 sprig curry leaves
- 2 nos red chilli broken
- 1/4 tsp turmeric powder
- salt to taste
- 1/2 cup coconut grated
- 1/8 tsp fennel seeds
- Splutter mustard seeds and cumin seeds in coconut oil.
- Add curry leaves and red chilli.
- Saute and add chopped florets, turmeric powder, and salt.
- Need not add water as it leaves out water while cooking.
- cook until soft and done.
- coarsely grind coconut and fennel seeds and add it to cooked florets. cook another few minutes until dry.
- serve hot with rice and curry.
Vazhapoo Thoran recipe
To make this thoran, Firstly Clean the banana flower and put it in buttermilk. remove the calyx and pistil from each flower and soak them in buttermilk. Chop it and put it again in buttermilk to avoid discoloration.
In a pan, heat oil and crackle mustard seeds, cumin seeds, red chillies, and curry leaves. mix well. cook for a few seconds.
Drain and add the chopped banana flower, salt, and turmeric powder. Need not add water, the moisture in flower is enough to get it cooked. it cooks very fast. takes less than 5-7 minutes to get cooked in a wide pan.
When it is almost cooked, grind coconut and fennel seeds without adding water to a coarse paste. add it to the pan.
Mix well and cook again for a few minutes until almost all the moisture is left.
serve it fresh and hot with rice and curry.