carrot beans thoran recipe – with step by step photos and video recipe. A simple, basic and traditional side dish recipe with carrots and beans which is popularly served in sadya menu.
What is thoran ? this question has got into me many times but i have not got the meaning of it but only the method of it. thoran means quick cooking of vegetables with mild tempering and lastly mixing with fresh grated coconut.
carrot beans poriyal is very similar to the thoran recipe. some of the popular thoran recipes are here like beetroot thoran, cabbage thoran, muringayila mutta thoran, Beans thoran, mullangi thoran, Kollu thoran, vazhapoo thoran, etc.,
quick video of making carrot beans thoran recipe
step wise pics of making carrot beans thoran recipe
1.heat oil in a pan and pop in mustard seeds and curry leaves. together add chopped onions. using onions here are optional.
2. wash and chop carrots and beans very finely and add it along with onions. add salt, chilli powder and turmeric powder. some add green chillies to it. I always prefer adding chilli powder because the green chillies may not be seen and we might bite them thinking beans.
3. add little water just enough for the vegetable to get cooked. close and cook the vegetables on high flame until soft and all the water is drained.
4. lastly add grated coconut and mix well. serve! make sure the water is drained completely before adding coconut.
carrot beans thoran recipe
- 2 tbsp coconut oil
- 1 tsp mustard seeds
- 1 sprig curry leaves
- 1/2 no onion – finely chopped
- 1.5 cups carrots – finely chopped
- 1 cup beans – finely chopped
- salt to taste
- 1/8 tsp turmeric powder
- 1/8 tsp chilli powder
- 1/4 cup grated coocnut
- heat coconut oil in a pan and pop in mustard seeds. add curry leaves, chopped onions, chopped carrots, chopped beans, salt, turmeric powder, chilli powder, salt and 1/2 cup water.
- close and cook until vegetables are soft.
- stir in grated coconut and mix well. serve hot with rice and curry.