Spicy Idli upma recipe | Masala Idly upma recipe with detailed pics and video recipe – idlis are scrambled and tossed along with seasonings and some spice powders to a delicious dish using leftover idlis.
Leftover idlis can be used in many different ways and one of which is the idli upma which is most commonly made as dinner or breakfast recipes. simple seasoning spices and add the scrambled idlis to it and fry until its mixed well and heated up.
Simple south indian style idli upma recipe with detailed step by step pictures and quick video recipe. dry fruits idli upma, hotel style rava upma recipe, and many other south Indian breakfast recipes.
here is the quick video of spicy idli upma:
Step by step pics of spicy idli upma recipe:
crumble idlis using hands. If using fresh idlis, cool them completely and then crumble to avoid getting it mashed.
Heat oil, crackle mustard seeds.
Pop in urad dal and chana dal (bengal gram). Roast until it changes colour
Put in curry leaves and finely chopped onions. Fry until it turns transparent. Need not fry till brown as we want little crunchiness in the dish.
add salt, and fry until pink. need not fry until brown. slight crunchiness in upma will enhance its taste
Add chopped tomatoes (optional) and mix well. cook until mushy.
Put in turmeric powder, kashmiri chilly powder,
also add idli podi mix, chilli powder. If your idli podi mix is apicy adjust chilli powder accordingly
Mix well and cook for a couple of minutes in simmer until raw smell goes off. and add little water, mix again
Add the scrambled idlis, mix well and add chopped coriander leaves
sprinkle little water all around (very little). close and let it sit for a minute. this is to make the upma soft without dryness.
lastly, after a couple of minutes, open, mix and serve hot this spicy idli upma.
Idli upma recipe :
idli upma recipe
- 1/4 tsp mustard seeds
- 1/2 tsp urad dal
- 1 tsp chana dal
- 1 spring curry leaves
- 1 large onion finely chopped
- 1 small tomato chopped
- 1/4 tsp turmeric powder
- 1 tsp chilli powder
- 2 tbsp idli podi mix
- salt to taste
- 7-8 idlis
- coriander leaves to garnish
- 1 tsp kasmiri chilli powder
- Heat oil, crackle mustard seeds.
- Pop in urad dal and chana dal (bengal gram). Roast until it changes colour
- Put in curry leaves and finely chopped onions. Fry until it turns transparent. Need not fry till brown as we want little crunchiness in the dish.
- Add chopped tomatoes (optional) and mix well. cook until mushy.
- Put in turmeric powder, chilli powder, idli podi mix and salt required for the onion and tomato (Idli has salt already)
- Mix well and cook for a couple of minutes in simmer until raw smell goes off.
- Add the scrambled idlis, sprinkle little water all around (very little). close and let it sit for a minute. Open and let it cook for another minute until its completed mixed up and do not overcook as it tends to become hard.