Kuska Biryani recipe | Plain Biryani recipe | Madurai Kuska Biriyani with step by step photos and video recipe. This Veg biryani recipe is made without any vegetables and in south Indian style. This masala rice is very simple and easy to prepare and a great veg substitute of main dish to go with any veg or non veg curries.
South Indian muslim style biriyani recipe without vegetables. Optionally you can also add chopped carrots or potatoes to this and it does not alter the taste. But add very little of it. This is a great lunchbox idea that can be prepared easily.
Kuska biryani and empty salna is very popular hotel style lunch menu in Tamilnadu. found mostly in local shops and thalluvandi.
Here are some of the variety rice recipes that you might be interested: Egg fried rice, Ghee rice, Cabbage rice, coconut rice, lemon rice, carrot rice, Curd rice,etc., This Kuska biryani will go best with empty salna.
Kuska Biryani recipe : quick video:
Kuska Biryani recipe | Plain Biryani recipe | Madurai Kuska Biriyani pictorial description:
- Soak the seeraga samba rice in water for 15 minutes. You can soak it when you start cooking. Basmati rice can also be used instead of seeraga samba rice and procedure will be the same.
- Grind together shallots, ginger garlic, green chilli and coriander leaves. Grind it to a fine paste. I suggest using small onions instead of big onion for best results. Adjust green chillies based on its spice level. the ones i used are very spicy. so i have added only 2 of it. If you use the longer veriety green chillies that are less spicy, then add 3-4 of them. Some recipes add pudina but i don’t prefer adding it. It is optional.
- Heat ghee and oil together in a cooker. You can also add only ghee but it might dominate in the rice, so i have added oil+ghee together. Add cinnamon, cloves, cardamom, bay leaves to the cooker and let it get heated up.
- Add thinly sliced onions, green chilli slit and fry until it turns slightly brown. when it is brown, add finely chopped tomatoes and cook until it is mushy.
- Further, when the tomatoes are mushy, add prepared kuska masala and mix well and fry for a minute until raw smell goes off.
- Furthermore, Add the spice powders: turmeric powder, chilli powder, garam masala and mix well. Fry until oil leaves out.
- Add water in ratio: (1:1.25) that is for 1 cup rice, add 1.25 cup water. Add salt to taste. mix well. check the salt by tasting the water before adding rice. The water has to be slightly salty than normal.
lastly, Add soaked rice, ghee on top, mix. Close and pressure cook for 10 minutes in lowest flame.
- After 10 minutes, switch off, let the pressure settle down completely. Open and fluff it up with a fork.
Kuska Biryani recipe | Plain Biryani recipe | Madurai Kuska Biriyani recipe card:
Kuska Biryani recipe
- 1 cup seeraga samba rice
- 13-14 no small onions
- 7-8 cloves garlic
- 1 inch ginger
- 2 no green chilli
- 1/8 cup coriander leaves
- 3 tbsp oil
- 1 tbsp ghee
- 1 no bay leaf
- 2 inch cinnamon sticks
- 3 no cloves
- 2 no cardamom
- 2 medium sized onion - thinly sliced
- 1 no green chilli - slit vertically
- 2 small tomatoes - finely chopped
- 1/4 tsp turmeric powder
- 1/2 tsp chilli powder
- 1/4 tsp garam masala
- salt to taste
- 1.5 tbsp ghee - to add at last
- Soak 1 cup seeraga samba rice in water for 15 minutes.
- Grind together small onions, garlic, ginger, green chilli and coriander leaves until fine paste.
- heat ghee+oil in cooker, add cinnamon, cardamom, cloves, bay leaf and heat it up
- add thinly sliced onions and fry till brown.
- further, add chopped tomatoes and fry until mushy
- when mushy, add prepared masala. and fry until raw smell goes off.
- add turmeric powder, chili powder and garam masala. mix well and fry for a minute.
- add 1.25 cups water (for 1 cup rice) , salt, soaked rice, ghee on top.
- mix, close and pressure cook for 10 minutes in lowest flame.
- open and fluff it up