with Rice flour
– instant kozhukattai is very easy to make and one of the healthy breakfast recipes. kozhukattai is very famous in tamilnadu especially during vinayagar chathurthi festival.
But at our home, we do make this very often. when i run out of dosa/idli batter, this is one recipe that absolutely saves me all time. while making for chathurthi, we skip onions and make it. this is best when served with red chilli chutney
some of the other kozhukattai recipes
Quick video of making Instant kozhukattai recipe
step wise pics of making instant kozhukattai recipe
- heat oil and pop in mustard seeds. when it splutters add urad dal, chana dal, curry leaves and red chilli broken. fry for half a minute.
2. add chopped onions and fry until brown.
3. add grated coconuts and fry for a minute.
4. add 2 cups water (for 1 cup rice flour), add salt and let it boil. taste the water and it has to be salty. let it come to a rolling boil.
5. Add rice flour little at a time and mix well. mix in simmer until well combined and comes out non sticky from the pan. it should be lump free so mix it quickly.
6. Let it aside until warm enough to handle. grease your palm with oil and scoop out a portion. make oval shapes and keep it ready.
7. heat the idli pan/steamer with water and place all the kozhukattai in it. close and cook for 8-10 minutes until it gets firm.
8. open and serve the kozhukattai fresh and hot with red chilli chutney
kara kozhukattai with rice flour recipe card
kara kozhukattai recipe with rice flour
- 2 tbsp oil
- 1 tsp mustard seeds
- 1 tsp urad dal
- 1 tsp chana dal
- 1 sprig curry leaves
- 2 nos red chilli – broken
- 1 large onion – finely chopped
- 1/8-1/4 cup grated coconut
- 2 cups water
- salt to taste
- 1 cup rice flour
- heat oil and pop in mustard seeds, urad dal, chana dal, curry leaves, red chillies and fry for half a minute
- further add finely chopped onions and fry till transparent
- add 2 cups water, salt and mix well. let it boil until it comes to rolling boil
- slowly add rice flour little at a time while mixing.
- mix quickly in simmer until well combined and dough comes out of the pan non sticky,
- wait till it is warm enough to handle. grease your hands and make oval shaped dumplings.
- place those in the idli pan and steam cook until firm and done. serve hot with red chilli chutney