simple olan recipe with kumbalanga (white pumpkin) and mathan (yellow pumpkin) with cowpeas. olan is a very simple dish similar to potato stew. cooking the vegetables and adding coconut milk and an important dish served in sadhya.
quick video of olan recipe
step wise pics of making Olan recipe
1.soak the cowpeas overnight and cook it with enough water until soft.
open and check the cowpeas if it is soft. you can also pressure cook it. but stop at right stage. it shouldn’t get mashed.
add the chopped pumpkin pieces, curry leaves, green chilli and salt.
add water again and close and cook until pumpkins are cooked. takes approximately 5-8 minutes.
open and mix well. let it cool down a bit and then add thick coconut milk. heat in the pan is sufficient for coconut milk to get heated up. or just heat it up but dont cook it further.
lastly drizzle some coconut oil and serve fresh.
recipe card of olan recipe
- 1/2 cup cowpeas soaked overnight
- 1 cup white pumpkin chopped
- 1 cup yellow pumpkin chopped
- salt to taste
- 2 nos green chilli slit
- 1 sprig curry leaves
- 1 cup coconut milk
- 1/2 tsp coconut oil
- soak the cowpeas overnight and cook with enough water until soft.
- open and add chopped pumpkins, salt, green chilli, curry leaves with little water or thin coconut milk. close and cook again pumpkins are cooked.
- open and add coconut milk when little bit cool.
- lastly drizzle coconut oil and mix well.