Ulli Chicken recipe – A super simple chicken fry recipe that is Christmas special recipe made with small onions, red chillies, and very few spices. We also call this as chicken Ulli milagu. It is semi-dry, spicy and very delicious chicken fry.
This chicken Ulli milagu is made often at my home next to chicken pallipalayam. ingredients are the same but the method of cooking is different. chicken cooked with small onions are a very extraordinary taste compared to normal onions. Big onion gives a sweet tinge to the fry which we don’t prefer.
some of the other chicken fry recipes:
Ulli Chicken recipe
Christmas special Chicken fry
Ulli chicken recipe
to grind raw
- 1/2 cup small onions
- 5-6 no red chillies
- 10-12 cloves garlic
- 2 inch ginger chopped
- 1/2 tsp Kashmiri red chilli powder
- 1 tbsp coriander powder
- 1/2 kg chicken
- 1/2 tsp turmeric powder
- salt to taste
- 4-5 tbsp coconut oil
- 2 sprig curry leaves
- 10-15 no small onions sliced
- 1 medium tomato chopped
- grind the ingredients given under" to grind raw" to a fine paste.
- marinate chicken with 3/4th of the prepared masala, turmeric powder, salt and let it rest for 1 hour.
- heat oil in a kadai, saute curry leaves and sliced small onions until brown.
- add tomatoes and fry till mushy.
- further add remaining prepared masala, salt a pinch. close and cook the masala for few minutes.
- add the marinated chicken pieces, sprinkle water, mix well.
- close and cook for 20-30 minutes while stirring in between.
- open and cook when the chicken is soft.
- fry in simmer until it is semi-dry and slightly roasted.
- serve hot with rice or roti.
How to make Christmas special Chicken fry
To make this ulli milagu chicken, we need to grind the masala to marinate the chicken with. For that, grind raw: small onions, red chillies, ginger, and garlic.
further add Kashmiri red chilli powder, coriander powder and grind it to a fine paste adding very little water only if needed.
Take the clean chicken pieces in a bowl and add 3/4th the prepared masala to it along with turmeric powder. mix well to combine. marinate for at least a minimum of 1 hour.
Heat coconut oil in a kadai and add curry leaves to it. fry a bit and add sliced small onions. fry till reddish.
When the onions are reddish, add chopped tomatoes and fry till mushy.
When the tomatoes are cooked, add the remaining masala, salt for the onions and mix well.
Mix it once, close partially as it may splatter. cook for a couple of minutes until raw smell leaves and the masala is thickened.
Now add the marinated chicken pieces and mix well.
Sprinkle water as needed, close cook for 20-30 minutes while stirring in-between.
once the chicken is cooked and soft. open and let it dry until you get the desired consistency. Let it cook in medium /low heat.
Overmixing may break the chicken pieces. Mix without breaking the pieces. until semi-dry and slightly roasted.
serve it hot with rice and curry of your choice.