Chicken Chukka recipe | Chicken sukka varuval recipe – simple, spicy chicken fry recipe in Tamil style in particular chettinad style where the spices are dry roasted and ground to a paste and cooked along with chicken until dry and roasted.
Chicken sukka varuval is one if the popular dish in south Indian restaurants. I love the chicken to be cut to small/tiny bite sized pieces instead of large ones as the masala gets well blended and when dry it still tastes good.
check out some of my favorite chicken fry recipes –
This chicken starter recipe can be had as such or with rice and rasam/curd which is my favorite choice.
Chicken Chukka recipe
chicken chukka recipe
- 500 gms chicken chopped into bite sized pieces
- 2 tbsp coconut oil
- 1 no bay leaf
- 1/4 tsp cumin seeds
- 3-4 no caramom
- 1/2 inch cinnamon
- 2 sprig curry leaves
- 3-4 cloves garlic crushed
- 1/2 cup small onions sliced
- 1 no tomato chopped
- salt to taste
- 1/4 tsp turmeric powder
- 2 tbsp coriander seeds
- 1/2 tsp peppercorns
- 1 tsp cumin seeds
- 1/2 tsp fennel seeds
- 6-7 no red chillies
to grind along with roasted ingredient
- 11-12 no small onions
- 3-4 no garlic
- 1 inch ginger
- 1 no green chilli
- 1 sprig curry leaves
- Dry roast all the ingredients given under the “to roast ” section until slightly smoky.
- Take it in a blender along with small onions, garlic, ginger, green chilli, curry leaves to a coarse paste.
- Heat oil in the same pan and crackle cumin seeds, bay leaf, cinnamon, cardamom, curry leaves, and crushed garlic.
- Fry for a minute and then add sliced onions.
- Saute the onions until brown. When the onions turn brown, add tomatoes and fry till it gets mushy.
- At this stage, add the chopped chicken pieces, turmeric powder, and salt, mix well and cook for a minute until firm.
- Further, add the prepared masala along with little water. Close and cook until the chicken is completely cooked. Stir in between if needed.
- Open and let the chicken dry and get roasted in simmer.
- serve it hot and fresh!
Chicken sukka varuval recipe
1.In a pan, add coriander seeds, cumin seeds, pepper corns, fennel seeds, red chilies and fry till it gets slightly smoky and aroma arises.
2. Take it in a blender along with small onions, garlic(with skin), ginger.
3. Green chilli and curry leaves and blend it to a coarse paste adding very little water if needed.
4. Heat oil in the same pan and crackle cumin seeds, cinnamon, cardamom, bay leaf, curry leaves and crushed garlic. Fry for a few seconds.
5. Add sliced onions and fry till brown.
6. Once onions are brown, add chopped tomatoes and fry till mushy.
7. Furthermore, add chopped chicken pieces along with salt and turmeric powder. Fry for a minute or two until it starts leaving out water.
8. Goes in the prepared masala along with 1/2 cup water. Mix well.
9. Close and cook until the chicken is done. Stir in between if needed. Cook in medium heat.
10. Close and cook until chicken is soft. Open and let the mixture dry in simmer until you get the consistency desired. Some leave it with little masala, some like it completely dry. Depends on how to want it, cook further and let it get roasted if you want to.
Serve the delicious chicken chukka hot and fresh!