Idli podi recipe | simple and easy idli powder recipe with step by step pics and video recipe. Made with urad dal, chana dal, and few other spices, this is an excellent second side dish for idli and dosa.
Black urad dal idli podi that I have already posted is my favorite. Just because dehusked (urad dal with skin) has so much health factor in it and we don’t usually use it to make regular idli batter. It is good for heart, skin, improves digestion and boosts mineral density.
Still, this version is one of the regular and simple ones that my mom makes. Not so spicy, subtle and light. You can add more spice and some Kashmiri chilies too if you want a bright red colored podi.
some popular south Indian breakfast recipes:
- kushboo-idli-recipe – soft idlis
- semiya-dosai-recipe – vermicelli vegetable dosa
Idli podi recipe
Idli podi recipe
- 1/4 tsp coconut oil
- 13-15 no red chillies
- 2 sprig curry leaves
- 1 cup urad dal
- 1/4 cup chana dal
- 1/4 tsp oil
- 2 no garlic
- 1 tsp peppercorns
- 1 tsp cumin seeds
- pinch asafoetida
- 3-4 tbsp rice
- salt to taste
- heat oil in a pan and roast red chilies and curry leaves until crisp. Take it out to a plate.
- To the same pan, add urad dal and chana dal. roast in medium heat until slightly reddish. take it out to the same plate/bowl.
- Further, drizzle 1/4 tsp oil and add garlic, pepper corns, cumin seeds and asafoetida.
- Fry in simmer until garlic is slightly roasted. get it to the plate.
- Lastly, add rice to the same pan and roast till it puffs up.
- Cool everything, add salt and grind it to semi coarse powder.
simple and easy idli powder recipe
1. Heat oil in a pan and add red chilies and curry leaves to it.
2. fry it in simmer until slightly roasted and take it out to a plate.
3. In same pan, Measure and take urad dal, chana dal and start frying it in medium heat.
4. Fry until it is slightly reddish. Take it out to a plate.
5. Heat oil in the same pan and add garlic, peppercorns, cumin seeds and asafoetida.
6. Fry in simmer until garlic is roasted. Take it out to a plate.
7. Lastly, fry the rice until it puffs up. Take it out to the same plate and add salt. Let the mix cool and grind it to a semi coarse powder.