Idiyappam recipe, Kerala Nool puttu |Idiyappam with rice flour also known as string hoppers is very much a staple breakfast recipe in south India especially in Kerala. This is an Instant version made with rice flour while the traditional nool puttu is made with rice soaked, made to batter, cooked as idlis and then squezzed through the seva nazhi
Nowadays, we use the kitchen press/idiyappam maker to make the idiyappam which is not only easier but quick too compared to seva nazhi which required lot of effort.
when I posted the
For a thin sevai/idiyappam/nool puttu, it depends on the “chillu” (perforated thin sheet) through which the dough is pressed. We would need the finest holes as i have shown in the video below.
diyappam recipe with rice flour
Idiyappam recipe with rice flour
- 1 cup rice flour
- 1.25 cups water
- salt to taste
- Firstly, roast the rice flour in medium heat until the color starts changing.
- Take it in a bowl and in the same pan, Boil water along with salt.
- When it starts to boil, pour the boiling water over the roasted rice flour.
- Mix it with the help of the ladle.
- When it is bearable to handle, knead it to a soft dough.
- Immediately fill the dough into the idiyappam press. The dough has to be pressed before it cools down.
- Press it through the thin holes into a plate lined with greased banana leaf
- Place the plates into the idiyappam stand and place it in the idli pot with little water.
- Steam cook for 10 minutes.
- Take out and serve it hot with stew or curry.
Nool puttu recipe with step by step pics
2. In the same pan, heat water with salt until it comes to a rolling boil. Pour that boiling water to the bowl containing the roasted flour. Mix it with
3. After few seconds, while it is still hot but bearable to handle with hands, grease your hands with coconut oil and start kneading to a soft dough.
4. Prepare an idiyappam press with super thin holes like in
5. Arrange a plate with banana leaves and grease it. I have used the idiyappam maker stand. You can also cook it in idli pan. If
6. Arrange the plates on the stand and place the stand inside the idli pot with little water.
7. Steam cook for 10 minutes or until idiyappam is soft.