Chettinad potato fry recipe | Baby potato roast with step by step photos and video recipe. Baby potatoes roasted in freshly prepared Chettinad spice mix.
This is one of the regular potato fry made at home and had as a side dish with sambar and rasam or curd. Curd rice and potato fry is the best ever and preferred lunch most of the days.
We also make the potato fry with just the chilli powder/sambar powder. In all these versions, we always add lots of cumin.
Chettinad potato fry quick video recipe
step by step recipe
In a pan, dry roast cumin seeds, urad dal, coriander seeds, peppercorns, red chillies until slightly roasted.
Cool and grind it to a semi coarse powder. keep it aside until use.
In the same pan, heat oil and crackle mustard seeds, urad dal and chana dal. When it crackles, add chopped onions, curry leaves and fry until slightly brown.
Put in the cooked baby potatoes. I have pressure cooked baby potatoes with turmeric and peeled the skin. Further, add salt and prepared spice mix powder.
Mix well and keep tossing until it is roasted on all sides. Keep the flame low and toss often.
lastly, add lemon juice and chopped coriander leaves.
Mix well and cook further for 2 minutes and put off. serve fresh and hot with rice.
Chettinad potato fry recipe
to roast and grind
- 1 tbsp urad dal split
- 1/4 tsp cumin seeds
- 1/4 tsp peppercorns
- 3 no red chillies
- 1 tsp coriander seeds
To make fry
- 1.5 tbsp oil
- 1/2 tsp mustard seeds
- 1/4 tsp urad dal
- 1/8 tsp chana dal
- 1 medium onion finely chopped
- 1 sprig curry leaves
- 3 cups baby potatoes boiled and peeled
- salt to taste
- 1/2 medium lemon
- 1-2 tbsp chopped coriander leaves
- dry roast all the ingredients given under " to dry roast section" until slightly brown. cool and grind it to a semi coarse powder. keep it aside
- cook the baby potatoes. peel the skin and keep it ready.
- In another pan, heat oil and crackle mustard seeds, urad dal, chana dal.
- When it crackles, add chopped onions, curry leaves and fry until slightly reddish.
- Furthermore, Put in the cooked potatoes, prepared spice mix, salt, and mix well.
- Keep the flame low and toss inbetween and cook until all sides are roasted.
- lastly, add lemon juice, chopped coriander leaves and mix again.
- cook further for few minutes tossing in between.
- serve fresh and hot.