Thatta Payir Kuzhambu Recipe |Cowpeas curry for rice
Thatta Payir Kuzhambu Recipe |Cowpeas curry for rice – A simple curry recipe with cow peas, vegetables and freshly ground masala.
In this Thatta Payir Kuzhambu Recipe, Drumstick, pumpkin and cow peas are a great combination and this simple curry tastes good even with dosa/idli.
Some of the other cowpeas curry recipes
karamani Kuzhambu Recipe
to pressure cook
- 1 cup cowpeas soaked overnight
- 3 cloves garlic
to grind raw
- 1/2 cup coconut
- 3 no shallots
- 1/8 tsp turmeric powder
- 1 tsp chilli powder
- 1 tbsp coriander powder
- 1 tsp sambar powder
- 1/2 tsp fennel seeds
- 1/2 tsp cumin seeds
For the curry
- 2 tsp oil
- 1/2 tsp mustard seeds
- 8-10 no small onions sliced
- 1 sprig curry leaves
- 1 small tomato chopped roughly
- 1 medium drumstick cut to pieces
- 1/2 cup white pumpkin pieces
- salt to taste
- Soak the cowpeas/ karamani overnight and drain the water. take it in a cooker along with garlic cloves. Pressure cook for 3 whistles.
- Meanwhile, grind everything given under "to grind raw" to a fine paste.
- In a pan, heat oil and crackle mustard seeds.
- add small onions, curry leaves and fry till transparent.
- when onions are fried, add roughly chopped tomatoes, drumstick, pumpkin to it. add salt to taste, water and mix well.
- close cook until soft. Open and add cooked cow peas, prepared masala and mix well
- add water to adjust the consistency and give it a boil until it combines together and raw smell leaves.
- serve it hot with rice and stir fry.
Thatta Payir Kuzhambu Recipe
wash and soak the cow peas overnight. drain the soaked water and take it in a pressure cooker along with garlic cloves and salt. Add very little water just until it is immersed. pressure cook for 3 whistles. put off flame and let the pressure settle. open and keep it ready. Do not mash.
Grind coconut, turmeric powder, shallots, fennel seeds, cumin seeds, coriander powder, chilli powder and sambar powder/kulambu milagai powder.Grind to a smooth paste and keep the masala ready.
In a pan, heat oil, crackle mustard seeds and add sliced onions, curry leaves and fry until onions are slightly transparent.
further add tomatoes, drumstick and white pumpkin.
add salt to taste and water just to cook the vegetables. Mix well.
Close the vessel and cook until the vegetables are soft.
To the cooked vegetables, add cooked cow peas and prepared masala.
Wash out the blender with 1/2 cup water and add it back to the curry pot. mix everything together. adjust the consistency of the curry as needed.
Let it boil for 10-15 minutes or until raw smell of masala leaves. serve it hot with rice and poriyal.