Butter chicken recipe | Murgh Makhani or chicken makhani – is a most popular creamy, silky smooth curry that is mildy spiced. The texture, color and flavor of the curry matters the most to make the perfect restaurant style butter chicken at home.
Some of the other chicken recipes:
- Christmas special chicken fry
- chicken dum biryani
- kozhi unakkamulak recipe
- chicken ghee roast recipe
Boneless Chicken chunks are marinated with spices, lemon and curd/yogurt and grilled/pan fried which is then simmered in a mildy spiced buttery tomato base curry.
very mildy spiced, slightly sweet and butter based creamy taste in the curry. well the tomato and cream base curry dominates than the overall spices in it.
This globally popular Indian Butter chicken or murgh makhani was invented in new delhi and some online resources confirm that the butter chicken was invented accidentally in one of the very popular restaurant “moti mahal” in new delhi when they tried to serve the leftover chicken in tomato gravy rich in butter and cream.
First step in making the murgh makhani is to marinate the chicken with spices, lemon juice and yogurt. second step is to Grill/Roast the marinated pieces. Third important step is to make the buttery tomato cream curry and the fourth or the last step is to simmer the chicken pieces in the curry.
To get the silky smooth curry, grind the base masala finely and strain it through the sieve. add fresh cream and butter for best taste.
It is suggested to choose boneless pieces preferably the chicken breasts. clean and cut them to chunks of bite size before marinating.
Butter chicken video recipe
Murgh Makhani recipe
Murgh Makhani | Butter chicken
- 500 gms boneless chicken
- salt to taste
- 1/4 tsp turmeric powder
- 1/2 tsp chilli powder
- 1/2 no lemon squeeze
- 1/2 tsp garam masala
- 1/4 cup curd
To cook and grind
- 3 large tomatoes roughly chopped
- 1 medium onion roughly chopped
- 6-7 cloves garlic
- 1 inch ginger
- 1 inch cinnamon
- 5 no cloves
- 1 no star anise
- 1 no black cardamom
- 5 no cardamom
- 1 no green chilli
- 2-3 tbsp cashews
- 2 tbsp butter
to make the curry
- 2 tsp butter
- 1 tsp kashmiri chilli powder
- salt to taste
- 1/8 tsp kasuri methi
- 1/8 tsp garam masala
- 1/8 tsp sugar
- 1/3 cup fresh cream
- 1 tsp oil to fry the chicken pieces
- Marinate the chicken with everything given under "For marination" section. Marinate for a minimum of 1 hour.
- pan fry/grill the marinated pieces in medium heat tossing in between until it is roasted and turns golden on all sides.
- Take a sauce pot and add all the ingredients listed under "To cook and grind" except cashews and butter with 2 cups water.
- let it boil until the tomatoes are soft.
- further, add cashews and butter, mix well.
- Let the mixture cool and grind it to a fine paste.
- strain the masala into a wide pan and add butter, kashmiri chilli, salt, kasuri methi, garam masala and sugar.
- mix well and let the curry come to a boil.
- When it boils, add fresh cream and mix well. let the curry come to a boil again in simmer.
- At this stage, add the fried chicken pieces. Mix well. let the chicken pieces soak in the curry in simmer for about 2-5 minutes.
- put off and serve the curry with fresh cream and kasuri methi on top.
Nutrition value (Approximate)
How to make butter chicken recipe at home
To make the butter chicken recipe, firstly, clean and chop the chicken pieces into bite sized chunks. take it in a mixing bowl. add salt, turmeric powder, chilli powder, garam masala, curd, lemon juice and mix well. Let it marinate for minimum of 1 hour to even overnight.
Pan fry it in medium heat with little oil tossing now and then until it turns roasted and browned all over.
Meanwhile, in a sauce pot/ deep pan, take 2 cups water. Add tomatoes, onion, cinnamon, cloves, star anise, black cardamom, green cardamom, green chilli, ginger, garlic. Let it boil
When it boils and tomato is cooked and soft. add cashews and butter to it. Mix well to combine and cook further until little water is only left.
Put off and take out the whole spices (optional). transfer the mixture to a blender. cool and grind it to a fine paste.
In a wide pan, strain the ground masala through a sieve.
Add butter, chilli powder, salt to the curry.
Further add kasuri methi, sugar, garam masala and mix well. let it come to a boil.
Lastly, add fresh cream and mix well. Let it come to a boil again.
When the makhani sauce is ready, add the fried chicken pieces into it. mix well. cook further for 5 minutes and serve it hot with cream drizzled on top.