Tomato chutney recipe | thakkali chutney for idli, dosa and vada. Also goes well with paniyaram which is why this is also called as paniyaram chutney.
Those who love munching vadas at street side shops would know more about this chutney. Especially goti 2 rupee ural dal vada and this chutney is in most demand from 3-5 pm in many thalluvandi kadai.
Also, when we make paniyaram, this is a must dish that my family needs.
though there are n no of tomato chutney recipes, this method is my findings from the street food shops and remains in our favorite list always.
In this recipe, prepared chutney is boiled again. This method of recooking helps in preventing the chutney to get spoiled fast and increases the shelf life.
For this chutney to taste best, use only fully ripe tomatoes either local variety or the hybrid ones. If using local variety, reduce the quantity according to its sourness.
Some other variations of tomato chutney:
- varuthu-aracha-chutney – onion tomato chutney
Tomato chutney video recipe
Thakkali chutney recipe
- 2 tbsp oil
- 1/2 cup small onions
- 5 nos red chillies
- 2 cups tomatoes roughly chopped
- rock salt
- 1/4 + 1/4 cup water
- 1 tsp oil for tempering
- 1 tsp mustard seeds
- 1 tsp urad dal
- 1 sprig curry leaves
- In a kadai, heat 2 tbsp oil and fry onions and red chillies until onions are brown.
- when it turns brown, add chopped tomatoes, rock salt and mix well.
- add 1/4 cup water. close and cook further for 5-10 minutes or until the tomatoes are soft.
- open and mash it well while it cooks.
- cool and grind it to a fine paste.
- heat 1 tsp oil in the same pan and crackle mustard seeds, urad dal and curry leaves.
- when it turns crisp, add the prepared chutney, 1/4 cup water and mix well.
- close the kadai partially and cook further for 5 minutes until the desired consistency is reached.
- put off the flame and serve hot with breakfast of your choice.
How to make Tomato chutney
To make this tomato chutney, firstly heat oil in a kadai and add shallots/small onions and red chilies. fry it on high flame until the onions turn quickly brown.
Immediately, add roughly chopped tomatoes, rock salt and mix well.
add 1/4 cup water for the tomatoes to get cooked. Close and cook the kadai until the tomatoes are soft. Please note that all the process above happens at high flame.
Open once the tomatoes are soft. mash it slightly while it continues to get cooked. cool the mixture completely and grind it. If you are grinding it hot, then add cold water and grind it.
Once the mixture has been ground to a paste, In the same kadai, heat oil. splutter mustard seeds followed by urad dal and curry leaves. when the curry leaves turn crisp, add the ground masala. take care as it splatters all over. immediately wash out the blender with 1/4 cup water and add it back to the kadai. adjust with more or less water according to your preference.
Close the kadai partially to avoid the mess on your kitchen counter. cook the chutney further for 5 minutes. When it boils for few minutes and comes to a consistency we need. put off the flame. This method of recooking as i said before helps in preventing the chutney to get spoiled fast and increases the shelf life.