Banana stem and Cow peas Curry | Vazhapindi vanpayar mezhukkupuratti with step by step photos and video recipe. banana stem and cow peas is not a very common combination but this pair is soo good and made in Kerala as a mezhukkupuratti.
What is Mezhukkupuratti? It is when you cook the vegetables plain and saute it with spices. Thoran is different from mezhukkupuratti. Thoran does not have much spices and in this vegetables are mostly cooked with salt, curry leaves, green chilli/red chilli/spice and topped with grated coconut.
Banana stem and Cow peas Curry video:
Banana stem and Cow peas Curry step by step pictorial description:
- soak the cowpeas overnight and take it in a pressure cooker with enough water.
- I have added 3/4 cup cowpeas to 2.5 cups water. You can use the leftover water in making rasam. do not add salt while cooking lentils/dals/pulses, cooking will get slower.
- Pressure cook for 4-5 whistles until it is easy mashable
- Open and check if it is cooked well. keep it aside.
- take the roughly chopped banana stem in a pressure cooker
- add enough water to cook it. It gets cooked faster, so add around 1.5 cups to 1 cup approximately.
- sprinkle turmeric powder
- further, add salt to taste
- close and pressure cook for 2 whistles.
- open and keep it aside
- heat oil and crackle mustard seeds and cumin seeds
- further add curry leaves to crackled mustard seeds
- Coarsely crush garlic in mortar pestle and add it to the pan
- break a green chilli into half and add it
- Along with green chilli, break red chillies into half and add it as well according to your spice level .
- coarsely crush the shallots in mortar pestle and add it.
- Fry until the onions are brown
- Add the cooked cowpeas and banana stem without water.
- add salt to taste. remember we have added while cooking banana stem . so add for the onions and cowpeas only.
- add little water
- close and cook for 5-10 minutes
- open and mash it slightly until well combined.
- add grated coconut
- mix well and serve hot
Vazhapindi vanpayar mezhukkupuratti recipe card:
Banana stem and Cow peas Curry
- 3/4 cup red cowpeas - soaked overnight
- 1.5 cups banana stem
- 1/4 tsp turmeric powder
- salt to taste
- 1 tbsp oil
- 1 tsp mustard seeds
- 1/8 tsp cumin seeds
- 1 spring curry leaves
- 1 tsp garlic crushed
- 1 no green chilli - broken
- 2 no dry red chilli
- 1/2 cup shallots - coarsely crushed
- 2 tbsp coconut grated
- soak red cow peas in water overnight. strain the water and pressure cook for 4 whistles until mushy.
- pressure cook roughly chopped banana stem with salt and turmeric powder to 2 whistles until mushy
- heat oil and crackle mustard seeds, cumin seeds and add curry leaves, red chilli, green chilli , crushed garlic, crushed shallots.
- fry until brown and add cooked banana stem and cooked cowpeas.
- adjust salt to taste and add little water, close and cook for 2 minutes.
- open and mash it well.
- add grated coconut and mix well.