upma recipe with step by step photos and video recipe. rava upma is one of the staple south Indian breakfast recipe. rava is also known as sooji/ suji. rava upma is commonly had with coconut chutney, pickle, sugar and mashed banana.
Hotel style vegetable rava Upma is already posted ages back and i wanted to share this plain rava upma. this is my ammas special recipe. she is been cooking this style upma for more than 8-10 years since when i started loving upma.
making this upma does not take much time and is easy, quick and simple especially for breakfast on the busy mornings.
Rava upma recipe
- 1/2 cup rava
- 1 tbsp coconut oil
- 1/2 tsp mustard seeds
- 1/2 tsp urad dal
- 1/2 tsp chana dal
- 3-4 nos cashews
- 2 no red chillies
- 1 sprig curry leaves
- 1/2 tsp ginger chopped
- 1/2 tsp green chilli chopped
- 1/2 medium sized onion finely chopped
- 1.5 cups water
- salt to taste
- 1 tsp butter
- 3 tbsp milk
- 1-2 tbsp chopped coriander leaves
- dry roast rava in medium heat until fragrant.
- take that in a plate and keep it aside.
- heat oil and pop in mustard seeds, urad dal, chana dal, cashews, red chillies, curry leaves, ginger chopped, green chilli chopped, onion.
- fry for a minute. add water, salt and mix well.
- when the water comes to a boil, add the roasted rava little at a time and stir continuously.
- stir until all the water is absorbed.
- at this stage, add milk and chopped coriander leaves. mix well.
- put the flame low,, close and cook for 1-2 minutes in simmer.
- open and mix once. serve hot with chutney.
Upma recipe with rava
1.roast the rava in medium flame until fragrant. take that in a plate and keep aside. need not brown but roast until fragrant for a couple of minutes.
2. heat oil and crackle mustard seeds, urad dal, chana dal, chopped ginger, chopped green chilli. red chillies, chopped onions, curry leaves and cashews. fry for a minute.
3. add 1.5 cups water, salt to taste and mix well. water has to be slightly salty.
4. add the roasted rava little at a time and quickly stir the upma. keep stirring so that it does not form lumps.
5. stir until all the water is absorbed. finally add milk and chopped coriander leaves. adding milk enhances the taste of upma a lot.
6. mix well and put the flame in simmer. close and cook for 1-2 minutes.
7. open and mix once.
serve hot with coconut chutney/idli podi/ banana slices and sugar.