Chettinad egg curry recipe | chettinad muttai masala recipe
Chettinad egg curry recipe | chettinad muttai masala recipe with step by step photos and video recipe. flavour rich egg gravy made in the tamilnadu chettinad style.
In general, chettinad curries are little bit dark and rich in spices. This roasted masala which is very similar to the chettinad chicken curry and also the varutharacha chicken curry with little bit of changes.
This egg curry is suitable for chettinad kara paniyaram , idli/dosa and also for chapathi. if having it for rice, then you just have to do slight adjustment. lastly, add fresh coconut paste to this and give it a boil. then it becomes perfect for rice too.
some for the popular egg curries:
- egg omelette curry,
- Kerala egg curry,
- egg curry tamilnadu style,
- egg pallipalayam,
- egg recipes street food style,
- egg fried rice,
Chettinad egg curry recipe
chettinad egg curry recipe
to saute and grind
- 1 tbsp oil
- 1/2 inch cinnamon
- 2 no cloves
- 1 pod cardamom
- 1 small piece mace strand
- 1 no black cardamom
- 1/2 tsp fennel seeds
- 1/2 tsp cumin seeds
- 1 pinch fenugreek seeds
- 1 tsp peppercorns
- 4-5 no red chillies
- 2 tbsp coriander seeds
- 3 cloves garlic
- 1 inch ginger
- 1/4 cup coconut grated
for making curry
- 2 tbsp oil
- 1/2 tsp cumin seeds
- 1/2 tsp mustard seeds
- 1 sprig curry leaves
- 1 no green chilli
- 2 medium onion finely chopped
- 1 small tomato chopped
- 1 tsp tamarind paste
- salt for frying
- 1/8 tsp turmeric powder
- salt to taste
- 3 large boiled eggs
- 1 pinch asafoetida
- 2 tbsp coriander leaves chopped
to saute and grind
- heat oil in a pan and add all the ingredients given under “to saute and grind” except coconut. saute until fragrant.
- after a minute or two, add grated coconut.
- fry until reddish brown.
- cool and grind it to a fine paste adding little water.
for making masala
- heat oil, crackle mustard seeds, cumin seeds and add curry leaves, green chilli and chopped onions.
- saute until onions are brown.
- add chopped tomatoes and tamarind paste. sprinkle salt for frying and cook until mushy.
- further to this, pour in the prepared masala paste, salt ,turmeric powder and fry the masala for a couple of minutes.
- Based on the consistency you require, add 1.5 cups water. mix well. close and cook the masala on high heat for about 15 minutes.
- open and mix once. make slits/holes on boiled eggs and add them to the pan.
- along with eggs, add asafoetida, chopped coriander leaves and mix well. close and cook again for 5 minutes in medium heat.
- open and serve hot with chapathi/idli/dosa.
chettinad muttai masala recipe
1.to saute and grind: heat oil, add the spices. (cinnamon, cardamom, cloves, black cardamom, fennel seeds, cumin seeds, peppercorns)
2.also add red chillies and coriander seeds. fry for a minute until fragrant. keep the flame medium, else you may burn the seeds.
3. after a minute, add ginger and garlic.
4. fry for 30 seconds and add grated coconut. roast until the coconut is golden brown in colour.
5. cool and take it in a blender. add little water and grind to a fine paste.
6. to make masala: heat oil in a pan and crackle mustard seeds, cumin seeds. together add curry leaves and green chillies.
7. furthermore, add chopped onions and fry until brown.
8. when the onions are brown, add chopped tomatoes, tamarind paste. fry until mushy. adding more tamarind paste will lead to a sour taste in curry. so add very little.
9. add the prepared masala, salt to taste and fry for half a minute.
10. furthermore, add 1.5 cups water washing out the blender. mix once.
11. close and cook the pan for 10-15 minutes on high heat. open to find the gravy thick and bubbling with oil specs.
12. when you fry the coconut perfectly brown and fry the ground masala well in oil, you will definitely get this oil layer floating on top. prick holes on boiled eggs all over.
13. place it in the gravy and cover it with the masala.
14. mix well. add asafoetida, chopped coriander leaves. close and cook again for 5 minutes in medium heat. open and serve hot with roti.
chettinad muttai masala is ready to be served.