Muttai kulambu recipe | Egg curry tamilnadu style | boiled egg curry with step by step photos and video recipe. simple, easy and authentic curry of tamilnadu. Egg kulambu/ kuzhambu is very commonly made and it suits rice as well as for tiffin items like idli/dosa.
Born and brought up in tamilnadu, i have always had an inclined favor for tamilnadu recipes. this muttai kuzhambu/kulambu is simple curry imitating the nonveg tamil curry except for few changes in spices that is specially meant for egg curries.
some of the egg recipes:
- Egg pallipalayam recipe | hotel style Egg fry | egg masala fry recipe in tamil nadu style
- egg roast recipe | spicy egg roast dry | egg roast without tomato
- Egg fried rice recipe Indian | Egg rice with leftover rice
- Omelette roll recipe
- Egg Shakshuka Indian style
- Egg Kabab a.k.a Dinosaur eggs
- Udaitha Muttai Kuzhambu Recipe | Egg Drop Curry Recipe
- Egg roast masala | Kerala style Egg Curry without coconut milk
quick video of Egg curry tamilnadu style|Muttai kulambu recipe:
Muttai kulambu recipe
- 4 large eggs
to saute and grind
- 2 tsp coconut oil
- 1 inch cinnamon stick
- 1 no star anise
- 2 no cloves
- 1/4 tsp fenugreek seeds
- 1 tsp cumin seeds
- 3/4 tsp fennel seeds
- 1 tbsp peppercorns
- 2 tbsp coriander seeds
- 1 cup shallots – chopped
- 1 spring curry leaves
- 3 no green chilli
- 2 inch ginger
- 2 tbsp garlic
- 1 medium tomato – chopped
- 1/4 cup coconut pieces
- 1 tsp tamarind
- 2 tbsp coconut oil
- 3/4 tbsp fennel seeds
- 1 spring curry leaves
- 1 large onion – thinly sliced
- salt to taste
- 1 tsp turmeric powder
- 2 tbsp coriander leaves – chopped
- boil 3 large eggs, peel and keep it ready.
- to saute and grind: heat oil, add cinnamon, cloves, star anise, fennel seeds, cumin seeds, coriander seeds, peppercorns and fry till brown
- add shllots, curry leaves, ginger and garlic. fry till brown
- further, add chopped tomatoes, coconut and fry till mushy.
- cool and grind with little water to fine paste
- heat oil in a pan, add fennel seeds, curry leaves and sliced onions.
- sprinkle salt and fry till brown.
- prepared masala to be added to the brown onions along with turmeric powder, salt , water and mix well.
- close and cook for 10-15 minutes. open and add the boiled eggs. make slits on eggs and make them.
- additionally, drop an egg into the pan.
- close and cook again for 5-8 minutes.
- open and add chopped coriander leaves. serve with rice/roti.
lets see the step by step making of the Muttai kulambu recipe :
firstly lets saute and grind egg kurma masala. heat oil in a pan and fry the spices: cinnamon, star anise, cloves, cumin seeds, fenugreek seeds, peppercorns, fennel seeds, coriander seeds and fry till they are slightly roasted and aromatic.
when it turns aromatic, add shallots, curry leaves, green chilli, ginger, garlic and fry till shallots are brown.
further add tomatoes roughly chopped and coconut pieces. fry for a couple of minutes until tomatoes are mushy.
add a small piece of tamarind and mix well.
cool the mixture completely and take it in a blender. blend with little water to a fine paste.
in the same pan, add oil, fennel seeds and curry leaves. together add sliced onions, salt for frying onions and fry till brown.
also add the prepared masala paste, turmeric powder,salt and 1 – 1.5 cups water and mix well. adjust water to make it to thin consistency.
close and cook for 10 minutes until raw smell goes off.
open and add the boiled eggs. before adding boiled eggs, make slits all over the eggs and add it to the curry. optionally break an egg over it.
close and cook for another 8-10 minutes on medium flame. open and sprinkle chopped coriander leaves all over.
egg curry is ready. You can serve it with rice or chapathi or even with dosa/idli.