Udaitha Muttai Kuzhambu Recipe | Egg Drop Curry Recipe with step by step photos and video recipe. Egg drop curry is simple tasty curry with egg cooked on top of the curry and gently mixed before serving. This curry best goes with chapati, dosa and idly. It is a typical south Indian curry also known as “Udaitha muttai kulambu”.
this recipe is adapted from one of my dear friend Suganya who taught me this recipe when i was in Bangalore. weekends it was very usual routine to gather at one place and cook lunch or dinner together. When she had come to my home for dinner. We prepared this curry for chapathi and it was superbly delicious that i documented it immediately though i dint take decent pics of the curry. now almost after 1.5 years, i made it again, i shot the video and pics and updating this recipe.
other than this, some of the egg recipes are here. check them out,
- Kerala style Egg Curry without coconut milk
- egg roast recipe
- Omelette roll recipe
- Egg Shakshuka Indian style
- Egg Kabab a.k.a Dinosaur eggs
udaitha muttai kulambu recipe video:
Udaitha Muttai Kuzhambu Recipe | Egg Drop Curry Recipe card:
Egg drop Curry
- 5 large Eggs
- 1 large onion - roughly chopped
- 1 medium sized tomato - roughly chopped
- 1 inch ginger
- 3-4 large garlic cloves
- 2 tbsp grated coconut
- 1/2 inch cinnamon stick
- 2 small cloves
- 1 tsp fennel seeds
- 1 long green chilly
- 1 tsp peppercorns
For Cooking Masala
- 1 tsp fennel seeds
- 2 spring curry leaves
- 1 large onion - finely chopped
- 1 medium tomato - finely chopped
- 1/2 tsp tumeric powder
- 1 tsp chilly powder
- 1 tsp coriander powder
- 1 tsp cumin powder
- 1 tbsp chopped coriander leaves
- grind everything given under "to grind" section to a fine paste.
- Heat oil, crackle fennel seeds and curry leaves, saute in chopped onions and tomatoes.
- Now, to this add the ground paste, turmeric powder, chilly powder, coriander powder, cumin powder. mix well and add little water and salt. Close and cook until masala is cooked well and oil starts leaving out
- Now open the lid, break the egg in a bowl one by one and drop them one by one leaving space in between them. sprinkle salt, pepper powder and chilli powder. Again, Close with a lid and cook in simmer until the eggs are cooked
- Gently mix them and garnish with chopped coriander leaves
Udaitha Muttai Kulambu – step wise description:
- in a blender, take roughly chopped onions, tomatoes, coconut and garlic cloves.
- along with this, add cinnamon, cloves, ginger, green chilli, fennel seeds, peppercorns
- grind all these to a smooth paste and keep it ready
- heat coconut oil in a pan and add fennel seeds, curry leaves and let it sizzle.
- finely chopped onions and finely chopped tomatoes are added together. just mix well. need not saute onions till brown. it gets cooked well along with the gravy.
- add the spice powders: turmeric powder, chilli powder, coriander powder and cumin powder.
mix well and fry for half a minute on high heat. tomatoes and onions will be cooked and gets mushy by now.
- freshly prepared masala is added and fry this for a minute so that it shrinks slightly and combines well.
- now add water, salt to taste and mix well.
- close and cook in medium heat for 5-10 minutes until you see oil on sides of the gravy.
- this stage is perfectly done gravy. it is thin as well as oil leaves the sides.
- break an egg into a bowl carefully not to break the yellow yolk. you can directly break it over the gravy but yellow might break or pieces of shell might fall into gravy. so practice this method.
- drop the egg into the gravy carefully and slowly.
- repeat the process to drop 5 eggs. (that was a twin egg to my surprise :))
- sprinkle salt, pepper powder and chilli powder. if you do not add spice powders over eggs, eggs might taste bland.
- close and cook in simmer for about 10-15 minutes until the eggs are cooked.
- open and sprinkle chopped coriander leaves. serve hot with chapathi.
Pin for later:
Thanks for taking time to read my recipes! ? It would be great pleasure if you could drop a comment about your views. Tel us if you have tried recipes from Jinoo’s Kitchen. Let us know how the dish turned out for you! Like, Share and spread a word if you like the recipes!