mutta poricha curry | omelette curry recipe |egg curry Kerala style with step by step photos and video recipe. simple and easy Kerala style nadan egg curry that can be easily made with omelette pieces in onion tomato curry.
I had been thinking to try out this authentic dish of Syrian Christians nadan motta poricha curry. the flavour of curry leaves, egg, masala and coconut oil is together a magic i would say. i simply enjoyed cooking as well as eating it.
I got this recipe from a book when i visited Kerala for a relatives engagement. in that resort, i had no time to enjoy sceneries when i saw so many traditional recipe books lying unnoticed. first thing was to explore ALL the books and click pics of my favorites.
this is a sure shot hit recipe and you can plan when you have sudden guests coming for dinner. you will surely impress them with this Kerala egg curry. some of the other egg recipes – egg masala tamil style , nadan mutta roast, egg curry kerala style, egg roast, egg pallipalayam,egg fried rice.
mutta poricha curry
mutta curry Kerala style
for making omelette
- 4 large eggs
- 2 tbsp onion – chopped
- 1/2 tsp ginger – chopped
- 1/2 tsp green chilli – chopped
- 1/2 tsp turmeric powder
- salt to taste
- 1 sprig curry leaves
- 1 tsp coconut oil
for masala paste
- 3 tbsp coriander powder
- 1 tsp chilli powder
- 3/4 tsp turmeric powder
- 3 tbsp water
for the curry
- 3/4 tsp mustard seeds
- 1 tsp fennel seeds
- 1 tsp green chilli
- 1 tsbp ginger – chopped
- 2 sprig curry leaves
- 1 cup onion – chopped
- 1 cup tomato – chopped
- salt to taste
- 1.5 cups coconut milk – second extract/thin
- 1/8 tsp garam masala
- 2 tsp chopped coriander leaves
- 1 cup coconut milk – 1st extract/thick
to make omelette
- break eggs into mixing bowl. add onion, ginger, green chilli, curry leaves, turmeric powder and salt. whisk for 30 seconds.
- brush coconut oil in hot pan and pour the egg mix into it. cook on both sides until done. cut to pieces and keep it ready.
- mix coriander powder, chilli powder, turmeric powder and water to a thick paste and keep it aside until use.
- heat coconut oil and pop in mustard seeds and fennel seeds.
- add chopped green chilli, chopped ginger,curry leaves and onion. fry till onions are transparent
- further add tomatoes, salt required and fry till mushy.
- when the tomatoes are cooked, add the omelette pieces, 1.5 cups thin coconut milk.
- mix gently, close and cook for 3-5 minutes.
- open and add garam masala, chopped coriander and thick coconut milk
- put off when it starts boiling.
omelette curry recipe
1.Firstly, lets prepare omelette for the curry. in a large mixing bowl, break 4 large eggs. together add chopped onions, chopped green chillies, chopped ginger, turmeric powder, salt and curry leaves. whisk for 30 seconds.
2. heat a pan and brush coconut oil all over. pour the egg mix into the pan. if the pan is big, pour the entire mixture. else pour in batches.
3. let it cook and then turn sides to cook. while turning cut slits and turn as we do not want a perfect omelette but pieces of it.
4. meanwhile, take coriander powder, chilli powder and turmeric powder in a bowl.
5. add 2-3 tbsp water and mix it to a thick paste. you can also pulse it once to make a thick masala paste
6. heat coconut oil in a pan and pop in fennel seeds. further add chopped ginger, chopped green chillies, curry leaves and chopped onions.
7. fry until the onions are transparent. move it to the sides of the pan. add the masala paste to the other side of the pan.
8. pour few drops of coconut oil over it and fry it for 30 seconds. you can smell a beautiful aroma coming out. DO NOT SKIP THIS STEP OF FRYING MASALA.
9. combine the masala with onions and fry again for few seconds.
10. now add chopped tomatoes, salt to taste and fry until the tomatoes are mushy.
11. at this stage, add omelette pieces. 1.5 cups thin coconut milk or the second extract.
12. mix gently, close and cook for 3-5 minutes in medium heat.
13. open and you could see the pieces are fluffed up. it shrinks as soon as you open and keep it for a while. add garam masala.
14. also add 1 cup thick coconut oil or the first extract. further add chopped coriander leaves.
15. mix well and when it starts to boil, put off flame.
serve hot with chapathi.