kara chutney recipe | how to make kara chutney | Hotel style kara chutney recipe with step by step photos and video recipe. south Indian style spicy tomato onion chutney recipe
Am so much an addict to trying out different chutney recipes to make the usual dosa/idli breakfast/dinner much more interesting. this chutney had been in my list of “to decode” and i get reminded of it whenever i visit hotel.
there are three different chutneys served usually in all south indian hotel along with dosa/idli. one is the regular coconut chutney, coriander coconut chutney, and the third one is the kara chutney. while it is medium spiced made with onion and tomato, it is still being called kara chutney.
check out this chutney collection recipes for idli and dosas. there are more than 30+ recipes in it.
kara chutney recipe
kara chutney recipe
to saute and grind
- 2 tbsp oil
- 1/2 cup onion – chopped
- 3 nos garlic
- 1 sprig curry leaves
- 5-6 nos red chilli
- 1.5 cups tomato – chopped
- salt to taste
- 1 tbsp oil
- 3/4 tsp mustard seeds
- 1 tsp urad dal
- 1 tsp chana dal
- a few curry leaves
- 1 pinch jaggery
- heat oil in a pan and add chopped onions and garlic . fry till it is brown.
- add red chillies, curry leaves, tomato and salt required. fry till tomatoes are mushy.
- cool and grind it to a fine paste. keep it ready
- heat 1 tbsp oil in same pan and pop in mustard seeds, urad dal, chana dal, curry leaves and roast until it is slightly reddish.
- now at this stage, add the ground chutney and a pinch of jaggery. mix well and let it cook for 1-2 minutes.
- switch off and serve fresh with idli/dosa.
Hotel style kara chutney recipe
1.heat oil in a pan and add chopped onions and garlic to it. fry until the onions are slightly brown all over.
2. add red chillies, curry leaves and chopped tomatoes. finely chop the tomatoes so that it gets fried quickly and evenly.
3. add salt and fry until it is mushy. let it cool down and take it in a blender . blend it to a fine paste. keep it aside until use.
4. in same pan, add oil, pop in mustard seeds, urad dal, chana dal, curry leaves and fry until slightly reddish.
5. add the ground chutney to the pan and a pinch of jaggery to it. adding jaggery is optional. but it definitely does not give sweet taste but balances sour and spice taste in the chutney.
6. let it cook in medium heat for a minute or two and switch it off.
7. serve fresh with dosa/idli.