Nei payasam recipe | Sharkara payasam |Katti payasam with step by step photos and video recipe. one of the traditional dessert recipe made in Kerala temples. also called as kadu maduram or katti payasam.
Nei payasam is the favorite of all desserts well even before palada pradhaman. for a person who hesitates to eat more than 3 spoons of any dessert. it is possible to eat a cup of this. Am so much in love with this one.
especially when served in temple, this is like amirdham – of course it is i know but i could not explain you how it will be at temples. over exaggerated huh? not at all. this recipe deserves it.
just with very few ingredients the outcome is extraordinary. i have used the normal regular ponni pachari/raw rice that you get everywhere.
nei payasam recipe kerala style
Nei payasam recipe
- 1/2 cup raw rice
- 1 cup jaggery dark variety
- 1 cup coconut grated
- 3 tbsp ghee
- 1/4 tsp cardamom powder
- 1/4 tsp ginger powder
- wash and cook the raw rice with 1.5 cups water to 2 whistle.
- open after the pressure settles on its own. mix and keep it aside.
- in a thick bottomed vessel, add jaggery and 1 cup water. let it melt completely.
- strain and add it again to the pan. let it boil
- when it starts boiling, add cooked rice and ghee. mix well.
- when it boils again, add grated coconut and keep stirring in medium heat for 10-15 min
- when its getting thickened, add ginger powder and cardamom powder.
- mix well and cook for another 10-15 minutes until it thickens.
Katti payasam recipe
1.wash and add the raw rice to the cooker. add 1.5 cups water to it. close and pressure cook for 2 whistles on high heat. let the pressure settle on its own.
2. open and mix. the rice should not be mushy.
3. in a pan, add jaggery, water and let it cook until it melts completely.
4. strain and add to the pan again. let it boil.
5. when it starts to boil, add ghee and mix well.
6. let the rice cook in medium heat until it starts to boil again. now, add grated coconut and mix well. keep stirring until it thickens.
7. lastly, add cardamom powder and dry ginger powder. stir in medium heat until thick.