Kara Pidi Kozhukattai Recipe is most common of all recipes made for Vinayagar Chaturthi or Ganesha Chaturthi.
We make it not only on festive days but at least once or twice a month. Kara pidi kozhukattai with red chilli chutney is the most favorite dinner recipe in our family.
we make a lot of variations in it. Quick one is with rice flour. Instead of soaking the raw rice, we use rice flour straight away and make quick dumplings.
- Here in this recipe, I have used onions but if serving for god, pls. omit the step of adding onions.
We make both with and without onions in the separate pan the same way. One to serve god and one for us. we like it only with onions. 🙂
I use grated coconut or sliced coconut in this recipe. slice the coconut pieces thin and add it to make it crunchy, If you like it that way, you add it as slices or grated.
Soaking chana dal helps in avoiding too much disturbance while eating. But it is optional. Same way, if you like it crunchy, add it along with urad dal.
Adding urad dal is optional. and when adding curry leaves chop them finely so that we don’t discard them.
When making dumplings, remove the red chilies used. Specifically if there are kids at home. For this reason, put the red chilies half broken so that the essence gets in and it’s easy to remove while making dumplings.
Check out palak kozhukattai recipe which is a super hit and tasty, healthy dumpling recipe.
Quick video recipe:
Kara Pidi Kozhukattai Recipe -pictorial directions
Wash and soak the raw rice overnight or at least for 3-4 hours.drain the water completely.
Grind it a coarse paste with salt and keep it ready. Add very little water only
Heat oil, splutter mustard seeds and add urad dal, chana dal, red chillies, curry leaves and mix everything well just until nice aroma comes out.
Further, add onions, coconut bits and salt for the onions. Keep in mind that we have already added for the batter. Fry until it is just pink.
Now pour the ground rice batter and mix well. While adding the batter, put the flame low
Keep stirring so that it does not form any lumps. stir until it comes out of the pan clean and keeps rolling or until all the moisture leaves.If it is too watery, let it cook in simmer until dry. If it is too dry, add some water + oil to make it to the right consistency. Consistency of batter is shown in the pic (running but thick)
Sprinkle little water to handle the heat and to combine together.
Pinch a portion and start making dumplings like in pic.
steam it in idli pan/steamer for 15 minutes until firm.
Grease the pan/steamer so that it does not stick to the bottom.
Kara Pidi Kozhukattai Recipe
Kara Pidi Kozhukattai Recipe
- 1.5 cups raw rice
- 1 tbsp coconut oil
- 1/4 tsp mustard seeds
- 1 tsp chana dal
- 3/4 tsp urad dal split
- 2 red chillies – broken
- 1 spring curry leaves – chopped
- 1 medium onion or few small onions – chopped
- 3 tbsp coconut bits
- salt – to taste
- Wash and soak the raw rice overnight or at least for 3-4 hours.
- Strain all the water and grind it a coarse paste with salt and keep it ready.
- Heat oil, splutter mustard seeds, urad dal, chana dal, red chilli, and curry leaves and saute until brown.
- further, add onions, coconut bits, and salt. Once onions turn pink,
- Now pour the ground rice batter. While adding the batter, put the stove in simmer
- Keep stirring so that it does not form any lumps. stir until it comes out of the pan clean and keeps rolling.
- Put off the stove and transfer to a bowl. sprinkle water and make it to a dough.
- take small lemon sized balls and make 'pidis' pressing it with your four fingers towards the palm.
- steam it in idli pan/steamer for 15 minutes until firm.