pumpkin masala for rice | Yellow pumpkin curry recipe | Mathanga/arasanikka/gummadikaya curry
pumpkin masala for rice
- 2 tbsp oil
- 1 tsp mustard seeds
- 1/8 tsp cumin seeds
- 1/4 tsp urad dal split
- 1 tsp chana dal
- 1 pinch asafoetida
- 1/8 tsp turmeric powder
- 5 cloves garlic crushed
- 3 sprig curry leaves
- 2 no red chilli broken
- 1 medium onion finely chopped
- 1 long green chilli chopped
- 250 gms pumpkin chopped to pieces
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp red chilli powder
- 1/2+1/2 cup water
- 1.5 tbsp tamarind water
- heat oil in a kadai and crackle mustard seeds and cumin seeds.
- further add urad dal, chana dal, asafoetida, turmeric powder and mix once.
- a handful of curry leaves is added and fried until the leaves are crisp.
- add red chillies, chopped onions, chopped green chillies and fry until slightly brown.
- add chopped pumpkin pieces, salt, chilli powder and mix well. fry for a minute.
- add a little water, close and cook until pumpkin is soft.
- open and mash it slightly with back of the ladle. mash it here and there.
- lastly, add tamarind water, 2 cups water and give it a good boil.
- serve fresh and hot with rice.