Rava Pongal recipe | How to make Rava Pongal with step by step detailed pics and video recipe. Simple, healthy breakfast with Rava/sooji/semolina and moong dal.
After posting Rava upma recipe, I had a plan to cook Rava Pongal that my mom makes very often. She adds more ghee/oil than what I have used in this recipe. Though am not that comfortable in adding more. This dish, in particular, will taste best when more ghee is added while cooking.
You should check out this upma recipes collection which is a very good option for breakfast/dinner that is not only easy but also healthy.
Rava Pongal recipe
Rava Pongal recipe
to cook moong dal
- 1/2 cup moong dal
- 1/4 tsp ghee
- 2 cups water
- 2 tbsp oil
- 1-2 tsp ghee
- 1/2 tsp mustard seeds
- 1/2 tsp cumin seeds
- 1 tsp chopped ginger
- 1 tsp peppercorns
- 2 no green chilli slit
- 1 spring curry leaves
- few cashews
- 3 cups water
- salt to taste
- 1 cup rava/sooji/semolina
- 1 tbsp ghee
- Heat ghee in a cooker and roast the moong dal until fragrant. Add water, close and pressure cook for 3-4 whistles.
- Open, mash and keep it aside until use.
- Heat oil and ghee in a thick bottomed pan.
- crackle mustard seeds and cumin seeds.
- Further add chopped ginger, peppercorns, green chilli, curry leaves and cashews. Fry for a few seconds.
- Measure and pour 3 cups water into the pan along with the cooked dal and salt. Let it come to a rolling boil.
- At this stage, wither in rava little by a little while stirring continuously.
- When its almost thick, add ghee and mix again.
- Stop when it is thick. Put off the flame, close and let it sit for a few minutes before serving.
- Serv the Pongal hot with chutney and sambar.
How to make Rava Pongal
1.Heat ghee in a pressure cooker and roast the moong dal until fragrant.
2. Add water, close and pressure cook for 4 whistles. Open, mash the dal and keep it aside.
3. In another thick bottomed pan, melt ghee and oil. Crackle mustard seeds and cumin seeds.
4. Further add peppercorns, chopped ginger, green chilli, curry leaves, cashews and fry for few seconds.
5. Measure and pour water into the pan. Rava: Water measure is 1:3 for Pongal. You can even take 3.5 if you want very more creamy Pongal. Also, add cooked and mashed dal and mix well.
6. Season with salt. check the water and it should be slightly saltier. Let it come to a rolling boil.
7. Keep the flame low and Start adding the Rava little at a time while stirring continuously.
8. When it gets thick, Add ghee. Here is where you can add more if you prefer a non sticky Pongal. Mix well. Put off flame and cover the pan for a while before serving.