Elevate the flavors of your soups and curries with this simple yet robust Homemade Vegetable Stock. This go-to recipe is a staple in my kitchen, prepared over the weekend to use into my soups and curries for 2-3 days through the week. Not only does it enhance the richness of soups and curries, but it also serves as a healthy foundation, making it a must-have in any home kitchen.
- 2 liters water
- Handful of chopped celery
- 1 roughly chopped carrot
- 1 onion
- 1/2 cup chopped leeks
- Whole pod of garlic
- 2-3 bunches of spring onions
- 1 bay leaf
- 1/2 tsp peppercorns
- In a large deep stock pot, bring 2 liters of water to a simmer.
- Add a handful of chopped celery, roughly chopped carrot, onion, chopped leeks, a whole pod of garlic, spring onions, bay leaf, and peppercorns to the pot.
- Allow the mixture to boil until it reduces to less than half, infusing the water with the essence of the vegetables and spices.
- Strain the stock to remove the solid ingredients, leaving behind a flavorful liquid.
- Use this aromatic vegetable stock immediately in your soups and curries for an added depth of taste.
- Refrigerate any remaining stock; it can be stored for 4-5 days, allowing you to enjoy the convenience of a homemade base for your culinary creations throughout the week.
This Homemade Vegetable Stock not only simplifies your cooking process but also ensures that your dishes are infused with a wholesome and natural flavor. Incorporate this versatile stock into your kitchen routine, and experience the difference it makes in transforming ordinary recipes into extraordinary culinary delights.