Dates Inji puli recipe | Puli Inji curry with dates that’s a slightly different dish from that of a normal inji puli in sadhya. Not only that we have replaced the jaggery entirely with dates, but the taste is also too good.
When I last posted the Thrissur style inji puli a year back, I had in mind to find an alternative to replace jaggery in the recipe. Also, I had the box full of dates thats not touched by anybody in my house. That’s how I planned to use up those in inji puli.
If you are interested in checking out the other sadhya recipes, there are two sets of recipes:
Dates Inji puli recipe
Quick video recipe
Recipe with step by step photos
In a pot, take a lemon sized tamarind in 2.5 cups water and let it boil for 2-3 minutes. Let it rest for 15 minutes.
Meanwhile, heat coconut oil and add finely chopped ginger to it.
Fry for a minute and add chopped green chilli. fry the mix until ginger is slightly brown.
Finely chop the dates and add them to the pan. Based on the sweetness of dates, adjust the quantity. Fry for a couple of minutes.
Further, strain and add the tamarind water along with salt required.
Let it boil on medium heat while stirring in between.
When it has reduced to less than half, reduce the flame to simmer and keep stirring until it gets to a jam-like consistency.
Dates Inji puli
- 1 lemon sized tamarind
- 3 tbsp coconut oil
- 1/2 cup chopped ginger
- 2 long green chilli finely chopped
- 5 no dates finely chopped
- salt to taste
- Boil the tamarind in 2.5 cups water for 5 minutes and rest for 15 minutes
- squeeze and prepare the tamarind extract. keep it aside until use.
- Heat oil and fry ginger for a minute. further, add chopped green chilli and fry till ginger is slightly golden.
- furthermore, add chopped dates and fry for a minute.
- strain and add tamarind water, salt to taste and mix well.
- let it boil on medium heat while stirring in between.
- It has to thicken and become like a jam-like consistency.
- adjust more/less dates based on its sweetness.
- some recipes do call for dry ginger powder. but its optional.