Kadala curry recipe | varutharacha kadala curry
Kadala curry recipe | varutharacha kadala curry is a very common curry made in Kerala as a side dish for appams, puttu, idli and dosa. It is made with black chickpeas and with freshly prepared coconut masala.
While there are numerous ways of the making kadala curry, this is one of my versions. There are two other types of chickpeas curry in my recipe archives. nadan-kadala-curry-kerala-style and kerala-kadala-curry both of which can be adapted as well.
Variation in this recipe from the other two is that coconut is fried until brown like a theeyal while the most authentic recipe like the above mentioned ones does not fry the coconut and we will be grinding it raw. This is also one of the favorite at our home.
varutharacha kadala curry recipe
kadala curry recipe video
How to make varutharacha kadala curry with step by step pics
To make this kerala style chickpeas curry recipe, firstly we need black chickpeas that is been soaked overnight. Take the soaked chickpeas, potatoes chopped along with water and salt in a pressure cooker.
Further add turmeric powder and give it a mix.
close and pressure cook 4-5 whistles. check if the chickpeas are cooked and are soft.
In a kadai, heat oil, add cinnamon, cloves, fennel seeds, kashmiri red chilies.
further add chopped ginger and chopped garlic and fry for a minute.
When the raw smell of ginger garlic leaves, add coconut grated and fry for a minute.
After a minute, add sliced onions and start frying until the onions and coconut turn reddish. add salt and continue frying.
Fry in simmer so that the coconut does not get burnt. onions and coconut will be brown at the same time if evenly fried.
Once brown, add coriander powder,and chilli powder.
switch off and Fry until combined. Since mine is the iron kadai, the heat retained in kadai is sufficient for the spice powders to combine with the coconut onion mix. cool it and transfer to blender. blend to a fine paste.
In a mud pot or any kadai, heat coconut oil and crackle mustard seeds. When it crackles, add chopped onions, curry leaves and fry till slightly brown.
When the onions are slightly brown, add chopped tomatoes and cook until mushy.
To the pot, add cooked chickpeas and potatoes along with the prepared masala.
Wash out the blender with water and adjust salt to taste.
Mix well and adjust the consistency of the curry. close and cook for 5 minutes on high heat or until the raw smell of the masala is gone and the curry color changes to darker tone.
Open and serve hot with appam or puttu.
kadala curry recipe
to cook chickpeas
- 1 cup black chickpeas soaked overnight
- 2 medium potato chopped
- 2 cups water
- 1 tsp salt
to saute and grind
- 1 tsp coconut oil
- 1 inch cinnamon stick
- 2 no cloves
- 1/2 tsp fennel seeds
- 3 no kashmiri red chillies
- 1.5 tbsp ginger and garlic chopped
- 1/2 cup grated coconut
- 1 medium onion sliced
- 2.5 tbsp coriander powder
- 1 tbsp chilli powder
for the curry
- 1 tbsp coconut oil
- 1 tsp mustard seeds
- 1 medium onion sliced
- 2 no green chilli sliced
- 1 sprig curry leaves
- 2 medium tomatoes chopped
- 1/2 tsp salt
to cook chickpeas and potatoes
- soak the black chickpeas overnight.
- In a pressure cooker, take chickpeas, potatoes, salt, turmeric powder and water.
- mix everything and pressure cook for 4-5 whistles.
to saute and grind
- In a kadai, heat coconut oil and add cinnamon, cloves, kashmiri chillies, ginger and garlic.
- fry for a minute and add grated coconut. Fry again for a minute.
- add sliced onions, salt and start frying until onions are brown.
- When the onions and coconut turn reddish brown, add coriander powder and chilli powder and switch off the flame.
- mix everything together. let it cool.
- transfer to a blender and blend it to a fine paste.
For making the curry
- heat oil and crackle mustard seeds.
- fry onions, green chilies and curry leaves until onions are slightly brown.
- further add chopped tomatoes, salt and fry till mushy. mash it slightly.
- add the cooked chickpeas and potatoes along with the prepared masala. add water, adjust salt and mix everything together.
- close and let the curry boil for 5-10 minutes on high heat.
- serve it hot with the appam, dosa, idli, rice or puttu.
I tried this kadala curry. It was simply lip smacking. Nice recipe. I did some changes to the recipe like I grinded the tomatoes, ginger garlic as well and also added a small amount of coconut milk at the end. It was awesome. Thank you for the recipe.
I followed your instruction. It was awesome. Thank you for sharing this recipe.
Comments are closed.