koorka curry recipe | Kurka curry | chinese potato curry kerala style with step by step photos and video recipe. Medium spiced masala curry recipe for idli/dosa/appam.
Koorka is very much used in many kerala dishes to make moru curry / kalan / varucharacha curry or mezhukkupuratti. This version of masala curry is little different from the earlier version of koorka masala curry that i have posted.
This recipe holds good for idli/ dosa/chapathi/appam and also is good for rice. Just that cleaning koorka is little difficult as it is tiny and thick skinned. My mom used to follow a simple trick, she use to wash it well, pressure cook for 1 whistle. Open and de skin just like potatoes.
Two advantage in the above process is your hands wont get stained. Second is its easy to peel the skin. but having said that, i did not follow that method and peeled it completely. apply little oil and peel the skin so that its easy to clean and de-stain your hands.
Kerala koorka curry recipe
Koorka curry recipe
to cook koorka
- 1.5 cups koorka/chinese potato – cleaned and deskinned
- 1/4 tsp turmeric powder
- 1/2 tsp chilli powder
- 1.5 cups water
to roast and grind
- 1.5 tbsp oil
- 3 cloves garlic
- 1 sprig curry leaves
- 1/2 cup small onions
- 1/2 tsp fennel seeds
- 1 tsp peppercorns
- 3 tbsp grated coconut
- 2 tsp coriander powder
- 1 tsp chilli powder
for the curry
- salt to taste
- 1 cup thin coconut milk
- 1 tsp coconut oil
- 1/2 tsp mustard seeds
- 4 cloves garlic – sliced
- 6 no small onions – sliced
- 1 sprig curry leaves
- salt for frying
- Clean the chinese potato, wash well and pressure cook with salt, turmeric powder and chilli powder. add just enough water and pressure cook to 2-3 whistles.
- Open and keep aside.
- heat oil in a pan and add garlic, curry leaves and small onions to it.
- fry till brown, take it to a blender. let it cool. in the same pan, fennel seeds, peppercorns, grated coconut and fry till reddish.
- furthermore add coriander powder and chilli powder. fry for a minute.
- take it to the same blender along with roasted onions and grind them to a fine paste.
- add the paste again to the pan, cooked koorka/chinese potato along with the water. add more water if needed.
- adjust salt to taste, close and cook the pan for 10 minutes.
- open and add thin coconut milk. mix well
- while it boils, prepare the tempering. heat coconut oil and crackle mustard seeds, sliced garlic, sliced small onions, curry leaves and salt for frying.
- fry until reddish and add it to the curry again. mix well.
how to make Kerala style koorka masala curry recipe
1.Take a pressure cooker and add the clean chinese potatoes into it. add turmeric powder, chilli powder, salt and water. water just enough for the koorka/chinese potato to get cooked.
2. pressure cook for 2-3 whistles and open to check if the koorka is soft. open only after the pressure settles on its own.
3. heat oil in the pan preferably coconut oil and add garlic, small onions, curry leaves and fry until brown.
4. take out in the blender and keep it aside to cool. While in the same pan, add fennel seeds. there will be oil leftover in the pan which is sufficient. if not add some oil.
5. Along with fennel seeds, add peppercorns, grated coconut and fry until reddish.
6. while the coconuts turn reddish, add coriander powder, chilli powder and roast it for another minute.
7. take the roasted coconut mix along with the onions in the same blender and grind it to a fine paste. add it to the same pan.
8. furthermore, put in the cooked koorka along with the leftover water. season with salt. remember we have added salt while cooking the koorka.
9. close and cook the pan for 8-10 minutes on high. Open and add the thin coconut milk to it. which is optional. If you do not have the coconut milk, add some more water.
10. To temper: heat coconut oil and crackle mustard seeds, sliced garlic, sliced small onions, curry leaves and salt for frying. Fry until it is reddish.
11. Add the tempering to the curry and mix well. give it a boil for 3-5 minutes.
serve the delicious and tasty Kerala style koorka curry hot with idli/dosa/appam.