Mochai kulambu recipe |mochai kottai kara kulambu recipe with step by step photos and video recipe.Tasty south Indian/ Tamil style curry recipe for rice made with field beans/ butter beans/mochai kottai.
this kara Kulambu recipe not only goes with rice but also is good for dosa and idli. I have used fresh mochai here in this recipe. but dried ones are also available. If using dried ones, soak it overnight before you cook them.
We follow the regular mochai pulungari or the regular mochai murungai kulambu at home whenever mochai is in season. but for a change last time, i made this kara kulambu and my mom loved it. since then, i wanted to shoot it and finally got some time for it.
Mochai kottai kara kuzhambu recipe
mochai kottai kara kuzhambu recipe
- 1.5 cups fresh mochai
- 2.5 cups water
- salt to taste
- 1/4 tsp turmeric powder
- 3 tbsp sesame oil
- 2 medium onions chopped
- 10-12 nos garlic
- 2 medium tomato chopped
- salt to taste
- 2 tbsp coriander powder
- 1 tbsp chilli powder
- 2 tsp sambar powder
- 3 tbsp grated coconut
- 3 tbsp sesame oil
- 1/2 tsp mustard seeds
- 1 pinch fenugreek seeds
- 1/4 tsp cumin seeds
- 1/2 tsp fennel seeds
- 1 medium onion chopped
- 1 spring curry leaves
- 7-8 cloves garlic
- 1 large tomato chopped
- 2-3 tbsp tamarind water
pressure cook the fresh mochai with salt, turmeric powder and water for 4-5 whistles. open and keep it aside
heat oil and fry onions and garlic until slightly brown.
next, add the tomatoes, salt and fry till mushy.
to the mushy tomatoes, add coriander powder, chilli powder, sambar powder and grated coconut. mix well.
fry till raw smell leaves and then cool and grind it to a fine paste.
in same pan, heat oil and crackle mustard seeds, fenugreek seeds, cumin seeds and fennel seeds.
further add chopped onions, curry leaves and garlic and fry for a minute.
also add chopped tomatoes and mix well. saute till mushy.
lastly, add tamarind water, cooked beans, prepared masala paste, adjust salt and mix well.
close and cook for 200 minutes in simmer.
open and mix well. serve with rice and poriyal.
mochai kulambu recipe step pics
1.wash and take the fresh mochai in a pressure cooker and add turmeric powder, salt and water enough for the beans to get cooked. approximately the quantity until it gets immersed. close and pressure cook for 4-5 whistles. open and keep it ready until use.
2. while the bean gets cooked, lets prepare the masala. heat oil in a pan and add onions, garlic and saute till it is slightly brown.
3. add chopped tomatoes, salt and saute until it is mushy.
4. once the tomatoes are cooked, add the coriander powder, chilli powder, sambar powder and grated coconut. mix well and fry until raw smell of coriander powder goes off. let it cool and grind to a fine paste and keep it aside until use.
5. heat oil in the same pan and crackle mustard seeds, fenugreek seeds, cumin seeds and fennel seeds. once it crackles, add chopped onions, curry leaves and garlic.
fry for a minute until slightly brown.
6. add chopped tomatoes and fry till mushy.
7. to the onion tomato, add the cooked beans along with the water and also add tamarind water. soak the tamarind in water and squeeze out 2-3 tbsp of tamarind water. do not add more tamarind water and it becomes puli kulambu.
8. now, to this add the prepared masala paste and mix well and add salt. (note that we have added salt to the mochai separately and while preparing masala also, so only if needed add it)
9. close and cook in medium/simmer for about 20 minutes or until the raw smell of masala goes off and oil leaves out the sides.