Drumstick flowers curry | Drumstick flowers recipe | Mulakushyam recipe with drumstick flowers with step by step pics and quick video recipe.
This is a very simple recipe with drumstick flowers, dal and coconut. similar to other mulakushyam recipes.
I started learning recipes from my mom starting from my school days and even now when i visit home i learn some new recipe. This time its murungapoo mulakushyam.
Mulakushyam or moloshyan is a kerala dish where vegetables and dhal is cooked in a coconut rich flavour. Simple mild and easy recipe which needs a dark porial to best suit it. Dark porial here i mean the spicy ones like potatoes, brinjal, raw banana etc.,
This time we have used drumstick flowers for mulakushyam and it was so yumm. Fresh flowers from our backyard☺
You might have noted that I use earthen pots for making most of the authentic dishes as we like the flavour and taste it gives when making earthen pots. I have a collection of them at my home.
here is the quick video of Drumstick Flowers curry recipe
Step by step pics of making drumstick flowers curry:
Firstly, lets prepare the coconut masala for the curry. Grind together coconut, cumin seeds, coriander seeds and shallots. grind it to a fine paste and keep it ready
Heat a earthen pot or a thick pan, drop in cleaned, washed and drained drumstick flowers and cooked dal ( pressure cook dal until mushy )
to this, add the prepared coconut paste, turmeric powder
Further add chilli powder, water enough for the flowers to cook well. they tend to cook faster. so 1 cup of water is more than sufficient in earthen pot.
add salt to taste and mix well. I usually add all these together. mix well and switch on the stove.
Close and cook for 15 to 20 minutes in medium heat until the flowers are cooked well
now, lets prepare the seasoning for the curry. heat coconut oil in a tadka pan, crackle mustard seeds
when the mustard seeds crackle, add cumin seeds
further add chopped shallots and salt for frying.
furthermore, add curry leaves and fry until the shallots turn slightly brown.
add this seasoning to the curry, mix well
switch off, close and let it sit for 5 minutes for the flavours of tadka/seasoning to get to the curry. serve hot with rice! I had it with rice and mushroom mezhukkupuratti.
Drumstick Flowers curry recipe:
Murungapoo Mulakushyam ~ Drumstick Flower Coconut Curry
- 1 Cup Drumstick flowers
- 1 Cup Toor dal - Cooked and mashed
- 1 Tsp chilli powder
- 1/2 Tsp turmeric powder
- 1/2 Cup Coconut grated
- 2 Tsp Cumin seeds
- 5 Nos Shallots
- 1 Tsp Corriander seeds
- 1 Tsp Mustard seeds
- 1 Tsp Cumin seeds
- 1 No Red chilli broken - Optional
- 5-6 no shallots - chopped
- 1 spring curry leaves
- Grind together coconut, cumin seeds, coriander seeds and shallots. grind it to a fine paste and keep it ready
- Heat a earthen pot or a thick pan, drop in drumstick flowers,cooked dal ,prepared coconut paste, turmeric powder,chilli powder, water enough for the flowers to cook well, salt to taste and mix well.
- Close and cook for 15 to 20 minutes in medium heat until the flowers are cooked well
- now, lets prepare the seasoning for the curry. heat coconut oil in a tadka pan, crackle mustard seeds, add cumin seeds,chopped shallots, curry leaves and salt for frying.fry until the shallots turn slightly brown.
- add this seasoning to the curry, mix well. switch off, close and let it sit for 5 minutes for the flavours of tadka/seasoning to get to the curry. serve hot with rice!