Aloo Methi poriyal is an easy to cook, simple and mildly spiced stir fry recipe with potatoes and fresh methi leaves.
Making this potato methi best is by tossing it gently now and then instead of stirring. In this way, it gets roasted on all the sides. Vendhaya keerai (methi) and urulaikizhangu (potato) make a good pair always.
Along with Potato, you can also use cauliflower, carrots or other vegetables of your choice.
Instead of using chilli powder, green chillies are used for spice which will taste entirely different and the curry looks pale green instead of brown.
Here are my tips to get the perfect aloo methi curry recipe:
Firstly, Use a non-stick pan or a well-seasoned Kadai to make this, as we need to cook in simmer for long until roasted.
Learn the tossing for it’s better than mixing or stirring the potatoes. not only that it will get roasted evenly on all sides but it will not get mashed.
Check out the video on how to make the dry aloo methi curry
Potato methi poriyal with step pics
Heat oil in a pan and crackle mustard seeds and fennel seeds.
along with this, add chopped onions and green chilli, fry until slightly brown.
add crushed/chopped ginger , and fry until raw smell leaves.
prepare the potatoes before hand. peel the skin of the potatoes and cube them to slightly bigger chunks than the usual. add the potatoes along with salt and turmeric powder. mix well. keep tossing for every minute. cook until almost roasted.
when it is well roasted, add the methi leaves, red chilli powder and mix well.
keep cooking until the methi leaves shrinks and the raw smell leaves. cook until potatoes are well roasted with methi leaves.
Aloo Methi | Vendhaya keerai urulai poriyal
- 2 tbsp oil
- 1 tsp Mustard seeds
- 1/2 tsp Fennel seeds
- 1/2 medium Onion finely chopped
- 1 no Green chilli slit
- 1/2 inch Ginger finely chopped
- 1/8 tsp Asafoetida
- 2 large Potatoes boiled, peeled and cut to cubes
- 1/2 tsp Turmeric powder
- 1/2 tsp Salt
- 1 cup Methi/Fenugreek leaves cleaned and chopped
- 1.5 tsp Red chilli powder
- 1/8 tsp Cumin powder
- Add oil and when it is heated up, crackle mustard seeds.
- add fennel seeds to it. After a few seconds, add chopped onions.
- further add green chilli, and fry for a minute.
- finely chop the ginger and add it to the pan along with asafoetida, potatoes, turmeric powder, salt, and mix well.
- cook on a medium heat, toss in between. cook until well roasted.
- When the potatoes are roasted, add the cleaned and chopped methi leaves, red chilli powder.
- fry for a couple of minutes until the methi leaves shrink
- finally add cumin powder, adjust salt and mix well. cook again for few minutes while tossing in between.