Angamaly Manga curry recipe | Raw Mango curry with step by step photos and video recipe. a simple, flavourful, traditional recipe of Kerala with raw mango that is particularly famous in a place called Angamaly.
The specialty of this raw mango curry is mixing or actually crushing the onions and spices with hands. In this process, we cook it almost 1/4th before taking it to the stove. Crush well with your hands and the taste amplifies in itself with this method.
I would suggest using fresh coconut milk for this recipe. Also, Little bit of vinegar is used in this recipe. traditionally, coconut vinegar is used but to replace it and to meet the availability, any vinegar that is not so overpowering can be used.
Angamaly Manga curry recipe
Angamaly manga curry recipe
- 1 cup small onion – sliced
- 2 inch ginger – sliced
- 2 sprig curry leaves
- 2 long green chilli – slit
- salt to taste
- 1 tsp vinegar
- 1/2 tsp turmeric powder
- 2 tbsp coriander powder
- 1 tsp chilli powder
- 1-2 tsp coconut oil
- 1 large raw mango – any variety
- 2 cups thin coconut milk
- 1/2 cup thick coconut milk
- 2 tsp coconut oil
- 1-2 no red chilli – broken
- 10 no small onions – sliced
- 1 sprig curry leaves
- salt a pinch
- In a wide mud pot/pan, crush together small onions, green chilli, ginger, curry leaves, salt and vinegar. Crush well for 3-5 minutes.
- Move it to one side and add turmeric powder, coriander powder and chilli powder to the same pan.
- Drizzle coconut oil and mix the masala well and mix it again with the crushed onions.
- Once the base is ready, add the raw mangoes and mix gently.
- let the mixture sit for 10 minutes.
- After 10 minutes, cook the mixture with thin coconut milk.
- Let it cook until mangoes are soft. Put off the flame and add the thick coconut milk.
- mix gently and prepare the tempering.
- Heat coconut oil in a separate pan and add broken red chillies, sliced onions, curry leaves and a pinch of salt.
- fry till slightly brown. Add the tempering to the curry and mix well.
- Close and let it sit for a few minutes for flavours to get blended. Serve it hot with rice and thoran.
Angamaly Manga curry recipe
1.In a mud pot or in a pan which you are going to use to cook add all the ingredients : Shallots/small onions sliced, ginger sliced, green chilies sliced, curry leaves, salt and vinegar.
2. Crush it well with hand for at least 3-5 minutes and move it to one side of pan.
3. Add turmeric powder, chilli powder and coriander powder. Drizzle some coconut oil on top and mix well. Mix with the crushed onions again.
4. Finally, add raw mango pieces and mix gently. Take care not to break the pieces. Close and let the mixture sit for at least 15 minutes before you start cooking.
5. Take the vessel to the stove on medium heat and add thin coconut milk. Mix gently. in swirling motion.
6. Let it boil for few minutes until raw mango is soft.
7. Switch off flame and add thick coconut milk. Mix immediately. The heat of the pan is enough. Do not cook after adding thick coconut milk.
8. Meanwhile, heat coconut oil in a pan and add red chillies broken and fry for a few second. Also add sliced small onions.
9. Fry the onions with salt. put in some curry leaves and fry till slightly brown and crisp.
10. Tempering goes to the curry. Mix it all over and close the pan. open when ready to serve. let the flavor take some time to get blended.
11. Serve it hot with rice and thoran.