Drumstick Mango Sambar recipe | mangai sambar | how to prepare sambar with step by step photos and video recipe. one of the most flavorful hotel style sambar/ sadhya sambar where they add a piece of mango to the sambar which not only enhances the taste of sambar but the smell and flavor triples just with that raw mango addition to the sambar.
there is another recipe of sambhar, where we grind fresh sambar masala paste and add it to the vegetables. But than that I like this podi sambar which suits for tiffin, we call it tiffin sambar. check out this Sambar rice recipe which i make often for lunchbox.
Unlike other sambhar, We need not add tamarind in this recipe as raw mango in itself is tangy and balance it with jaggery and chilli to make perfectly tasty sambar. Pumpkin sambar / idli sambar recipe is one of the commonest sambar made for breakfast.
Pin it for later:
Quick video recipe of sambhar:
Drumstick Mango Sambar recipe | mangai sambar | how to prepare sambar with step by step pictures:
- Firstly, Heat oil in a pan, crackle mustard seeds, fenugreek seeds, green chilli, red chilli and curry leaves.
- When it crackles, add sliced shallots and fry till brown
- Further add chopped tomatoes and fry for half a minute. need not fry till mushy as we will be cooking it along with the vegetables.
- Cut the raw mango and slice it and de-seed it. Now, add drumsticks, raw mango along with turmeric powder and salt to the pan.
- Just the enough water has to be added for the vegetables to get cooked. close and cook until mangoes are cooked. they get cooked faster.
- take those mangoes out in a plate to stop cooking further. If some of the flesh gets into curry, well, dont worry, you are cooking it right. some people cook mangoes separately and add to the sambar, but i dont prefer that way as the essence of raw mango has to get in sambar for best results.
- cook tur dal separately and add it to the sambar. I usually cook tur dal with turmeric powder and hing. If you cook it plain then, add turmeric powder and hing now. after adding tur dal, add sambar powder. the quantity of sambar powder varies depending upon the spice level of it.
- let it boil for 5-10 minutes in medium flame/heat. switch off and add cooked mangoes and jaggery. Mix well and serve
how to prepare sambar | mangai sambar recipe card:
raw mango sambar
- 2 tsp oil
- 1 tsp mustard seeds
- 1/8 tsp fenugreek seeds
- 1 no dry red chilli
- 1 no green chilli
- 1 spring curry leaves
- 10-15 no small onions sliced
- 1/2 medium tomato roughly chopped
- 1 long drumstick curry cut
- 2 small raw mango curry cut and deseeded
- 1/4 tsp turmeric powder
- salt to taste
- 1 cup cooked tur dal
- 1 tbsp sambar powder
- 1/4 tsp jaggery
- heat oil and crackle mustard seeds and add fenugreek seeds. together add red chilli, green chilli, curry leaves and sliced small onions.
- fry the onions till brown and add chopped tomatoes. saute till slightly mushy.
- further add drumstick, raw mango, turmeric powder, salt and water to the pan. close and cook until the mangoes are cooked.
- take out the mangoes in a plate and keep it aside.
- furthermore, add cooked tur dal and sambar powder, mix well and boil for 5 minutes or more until sambar powder gets off the raw smell.
- now, drop the mango pieces and switch off. add jaggery a pinch and mix well.
- serve hot with rice.